Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

2 week Thailand itinerary advice

• buffalonomad

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2014

Trying to decide which way to go with some plans for a 2 week span in Thailand in december. I will already be in bangkok with a couple friends and another friend is flying in to meet us for two weeks 11/29 to 12/14. We are planning to go to the full moon party on 12/6 but before and after is kind of up in the air. I know if we dont get to haad rin a few days before the party getting a place to stay will be tough, I would ideally like to get up to chiang mai on the 30th and stay there until the 4th or so, then make our way to ko pha ngan, stay there for a few days then make our way to phuket/phi phi then back to BKK. Im pretty sure that is going to be too much but id like some opinions.

I dont have much interest in ko pha ngan besides the full moon party, kind of thought about bailing on the full moon party all together but my friends would really like to go. Another thought was skipping chiang mai and getting to ko pha ngan earlier and leaving the day after the party for phuket/phi phi. Finally skipping phuket and making the best of ko pha ngan and maybe ko samui and going to chiang mai afterward. i have been to thailand before, my friends have not.

thanks for any input!

#1 Posted: 17/6/2014 - 15:24

• Advertisement

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014

I'd personally prefer to go up to Chiang Mai and explore the city and surrounding area for a week and bail on the full moon party and head down afterwards. You'd spend less time in transit crossing from the Gulf to the Andaman. There's lots to explore in the Phuket/Phi Phi area. See Railay Bay/Tonsai, Khao Lak, Khao Sok...tons of places.

If you're asking if it's possible to do Koh Phangan, Phuket, and Phi Phi in 2 weeks starting and ending in Bangkok (including Koh Phangan for at least 5 days for the FMP), the answer is yes, though it might be just a taaad rushed. Night trains to and from BKK, and subtract one day from your 14 for traveling from the Gulf to the Andaman, and half a day each for getting to the islands from your train and vice versa. That leaves around 11-12 days realistically, 4-5 of which will be taken up just because of the Full Moon Party.

#2 Posted: 18/6/2014 - 09:36

• KaseyMose

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2014

Yes do not skip the Full moon festivities in Koh Phangan. The destination is also rich in natural beauty. Accommodation is also available for various budgets in the region and Rasananda Phangan Island Resort & Spa is a popular choice.

#3 Posted: 25/6/2014 - 05:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's very hard to advise you because I don't know what your preferences are.

I think the Full Moon Party is an overhyped event that kids think is the **** because it has a reputation. I'd never go. BUT - maybe you're a kid and you want to check it out. Also you indicated that your friends were dying to go, so maybe you are roped in on that one.

Beyond that, you mentioned Islands and beach locations repeatedly, so I am left with the impression you're a beach tourist kind of guy. If that's the case, just check weather patterns, hit the places with less rain, and go from there.

If not post up some preferences and people can help you more. Kasey mentions "natural beauty" which holds very little interest for me but might for you. Tough to help without more info on what you like and don't like.

#4 Posted: 25/6/2014 - 10:55

• allie8kt

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2014

I would skip koh phangan, but once again it really depends on preference. If your up for beach locations with lots of activities, I would advise Samui, Chaweng beach has kayaking, massages on the beachfront, jet skis etc. There are plenty of nice resorts around there, accommodation won't be hard to find. If you want recommendations, I would suggest akyra since I stayed there last time. Bungalow style, convenient location, really lovely place, go for a beachfront room if you can. But other than that, chaweng is a safe bet. Lots to do,nice beach, you won't be bored.

#5 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 22:55

• KaseyMose

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2014

If you want to catch the full moon party in style, book a room at the Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan resort & spa. Luxury at its best!

#6 Posted: 26/8/2014 - 03:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Northern Thailand from Chaing Mai one week Itinerary advice please ... By jodie6104 on 16 Oct 2009 7 6666 29 Oct 2009
Seeking advice: 3 week itinerary (Thailand, Malaysia and Angkor) ... By Emanuela on 7 Aug 2012 1 1651 9 Aug 2012
Itinerary for 7 week trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia - advice wanted ... By plawhon on 9 Nov 2007 6 5303 1 Dec 2009
5 week itinerary - any advice appreciated! ... By jemsta7 on 24 Oct 2009 0 2373 24 Oct 2009
Revised 5 week itinerary - any advice? ... By JenHarley on 1 Dec 2011 0 1517 1 Dec 2011
4 week itinerary - Any advice or opionions? ... By Bassfunk on 14 Apr 2009 9 3365 1 May 2009
Seeking Advice on Eight Week Southeast Asia Itinerary! ... By brand0n on 25 May 2011 1 3540 25 May 2011
Itinerary advice needed for a 1 week visit to Laos with 2 young kids ... By skwan00 on 16 Jul 2013 5 921 20 Jul 2013
A three week Itinerary for Thailand ... By ptrivedi on 28 Jul 2010 3 1879 29 Jul 2010
Thailand - my 2 week itinerary ... By Bilby09 on 7 Nov 2009 5 2559 8 Nov 2009