Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand august.

• tyson

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2011

Hey everyone I'm travelling to Thailand in August for three weeks just to relax and hopefully soak up some sun. I'm just wondering if anyone has travelled there at this time of year due to wet season. I've read koh samui is warm and nice at this time of year, is there any other beachy places anyone can recommend? I also want too spend some time in chang mai, do you believe it is better to go this time of year or other times? Last of all, is Bangkok worth visiting for few nights in august because Of the possible flooding and the marshal law at the moment going to ruin the Bangkok experience for us?

Thanks heaps!!!

#1 Posted: 2/7/2014 - 04:18

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Tyson

In November/Dec/Jan and Feb in most of Thailand you will not see a drop of rain just hot and sunny all day every day so when would I go.....

having said that large numbers of tourists go to Thailand in August. Suggest you check out some weather maps for detailed info as conditions vary across thailand but often you will only get rain in afternoon/evening if it rains

#2 Posted: 4/7/2014 - 07:19

• Annie26

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2014

Hi Tyson. I have a similar problem. It is my partner's 50th birthday next August and I am planning a trip to Thailand for the first time. This will be a surprise for him so the decision will be on my shoulders :-(.
    The plan would be to spend a few days in Bangkok, 4 in Chaing Mai and then a week on Koi Samui
    My problem is, whether to wait to celebrate in November or take the plunge and be away on his actual birthday. Any help would be massively appreciated folks

#3 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 03:22

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Well, August can be pritty nice, but also very wet. You have no guarantee!

But you can be unlucky in November also, it is not in your hands. But chances are higher that you have nice weather in November, especially in the north. Koh Samui is generally less wet. Have a look at the climate diagrams available on the internet and make your own conclusions. In November Koh Mak is a good destination too and easy to get there from Bangkok.

If you want to go in August, maybe go deeper south, like Bali for example. If you want to go to Thailand, maybe push your holidays to November.

I do like rain season, because prices are low, people are more open and it is less crowded. But rainfall does happen. In this case I go for some relaxing spa treatment. But I go to Thailand to relax from my job, not backpacking or travelling around. If you are on sightseeing, rainfall can be a big spoiler. And as you mentioned flooding. I experienced floodings in Bangkok. That is not a great drama, but you have to be flexible with your travel plans and maybe get some groovy yellow boots ;-)

#4 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 03:42

• Annie26

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2014

Thank you Frieburger. Do you know if the humidity is much different in August and November as that would be another consideration

#5 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 07:27

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Well, after the rain it is really humid, but if you stay at the coast, that doesn't really matter, cause the wind brings some fresh air. In the city that lasts for a little while. But even in November you can have rainfall and high humidity in Bangkok.

humidity Bangkok

Having said that, I don't feel much difference in humidity, you sweat either or another way. Statistically, Bangkok has almost the same humidty around the year.
    Up north might be a little different, but I have never been in August in Chiang Mai, only from November to May. Since the rain mooves out southwards, November is a good time in the North and a little tricky around Andaman coast.

In Bangkok I already know all the walkways and tunnels between the malls and office building. Especially nice because of A/C in these buidlings [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img][url=]click here[/url]

#6 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 08:23

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

humidy is far worse in August than November

#7 Posted: 12/7/2014 - 04:21

• Arikara1985

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

I was there from August 15th to September 21st last year, while it did rain I only had one day actually ruined by it. I'd say a little over half the days had rain but usually wasn't more than a 60-90 minute thunderstorm around dinner time. Saw virtually no rain on my 3 day trek in Chiang Mai either.

#8 Posted: 13/7/2014 - 18:33

• Mark84

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014

Check out Hua Hin. since it's more centrally located it's not as rainy as the southern beaches. But the city beaches aren't all that great for swimming. If you want something less touristy go for Pranburi, it's even closer to Bangkok but has beautiful unspoiled beaches. I stayed at a very nice resort around there called Aleenta. Had a fabulous time! It's a different experience than typical tourist beaches, much more privacy and very relaxing atmosphere.

#9 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 21:54

• Johnson6B

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2014

Humidity is definitely worse in August bro, maybe by about 10% difference. If you wanna spend time up north in Chiang Mai, the best time for most people is December or early New year because the weather will be chilly. But if you don't like the cool weather then anytime would be fine. It would also be less crowded if you don't go in the peak season, another plus. Samui is great this time of year, was there the other week. The beach was great, went to Akaryn on Hanuman Bay, beautiful resort, fantastic view. There were a few short showers, but it didn't bother me much. The weather was still perfect for swimming.

#10 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 22:09

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.