Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

From Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station going to Aranyaprathet

• jedai2007

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2014

Hi guys,

I need some advice.
    Me and my friends will visit Siem Reap,Phnom Penh,Ho Chi Minh City and go back to Bangkok as our last stop.

Sept. 1 - Will arrive Bangkok Suvarnabhumi at 11:50 PM
    Question:
    a.) What's the best mode of transportation going to Hualamphong station so that we can catch the 05:55am schedule going to Aranyaprathet?Since its really late that will be arriving at BKK Suvarnabhumi, is taxi the best option or is there a bus/minivan going to Hualamphomg station at that time?How much if taxi?if Bus, what bus company and how much?
    b.) Is seat61.com schedule and fare are up to date?

We appreciate your immediate response and detailed answers.

Thanks in advance!!!

#1 Posted: 9/7/2014 - 19:57

• Advertisement

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

First of all, did you know that you can take a bus to Aran instead of the train? If you didn't know already then I would advise doing this instead, mostly because it is a faster way to get to the border, which will help you avoid the crowds and get over into Cambodia quickly.

To get the bus to Aran just go to Mo Chit bus station as early as you can (6am or 7am). You can take a taxi there (or a metro or BTS, but taxi is just as cheap with 3 or 4 people, and much easier). Minivans leave every 30 mins, cost around 200B, and take just over 4 hours. They sometimes drop you at the Cambodian border, otherwise you take a tuktuk to the border from Aran bus station.

If you are set on getting the train then do the following:

1) Take a taxi from the airport to Khao San Road. If your flight is on time, you should arrive around an hour and a half or 2 hours after landing, so around 1:30am - 2am.

2) Find a cheap guesthouse on KSR and ask them if they can look after your bags for a small fee, or just rent a room for a couple of hours and stash your bags in there. You should be able to find a room for 200B or less, try the alleyway at the end of KSR with Subway and KFC.

3) Find a bar and drink beers until 4am or 4:30am.

4) Go get your bags and take a meter taxi to Hualamphong.

5) Take the train to Aran.

If you decide to take the bus, you could either get some sleep, or just stay out on KSR until 5am or 6am, then get a taxi to Mo Chit.

Hope that works out for you!

#2 Posted: 10/7/2014 - 12:57

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012

For more info crossing the Aran - Poipet border, and the onward journey to Siem Reap, see my previous post here:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/23542_bangkok

siem-reap-travel-options-

#3 Posted: 10/7/2014 - 12:57

• jedai2007

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2014

Thanks a lot Jaiyen.my friends and i really wants to try the train going to Aran.I also like ur suggestion to visit KSR and drink a couple of beer.Thanks so much.

#4 Posted: 10/7/2014 - 20:26

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I think that if you were to head to the KSR area to drink beer, by the time you got there most places would have stopped serving.

Anyway, take a cab from the Public Taxi Stand (http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/117-taxi). At that time of the night you'll probably be at the train station in about 15-20 minutes, and the fare will probably be in the range of B200-B300. If you take the thruway you'll be asked to pay the tolls, so have some Thai money on you. I think it's another B70 or B75 total (two toll booths ... B30 at one and B40 at the other, or something like that, unless it's changed lately).

You'll probably be through customs and out of the terminal by around 12:30-1:00. You'll have quite a bit of time to kill around the station, but there are places to eat across the street where you should be able to spend a couple of hours.

Not too far away from the Hualamphong Station is the Flower Market (Pak Khlong Talad) which is a pretty interesting market that goes 24 hours a day with most of the activity happening in the wee hours of the morning. You could burn another hour or two there wandering around. It's only about 3 km from the station and right on the river. There will be lots of stuff to eat there, too, in case you don't want to stick around the train station.

There will probably be vendors coming onto the train selling drinks and snacks, so you won't starve on the way. There are a couple of decent coffee spots in the station if you need one or two before getting on the train, and near the taxi line-up is a noodle-curry stall where you can fill up before getting onto the train.

That train trip is going to be a long one, especially after an all-nighter. Have fun! Oh, and don't wear white!!!

#5 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 11:02

• jedai2007

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2014

Thanks a lot Tilapia.I guess your right if will be in KSR by that time possibly they will stop serving beer.I love the Flower Market that u suggest.

Question:
    Is the flower market walking distance from Hualamphong Train Station?
    Is it safe to roam around during 12am to 3am at Floating Market?
    Is it still Martial Law in BKK?How safe to roam around even its Martial Law?
    Why not to wear white?

Thanks

#6 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 17:37

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Yes, the Flower Market is walking distance from the station, but if you've never been to the area before and aren't familiar with it, I do not recommend walking there in the middle of the night after a long flight without a GPS. The area was not designed on a grid system and there are streets and alleyways going off in all directions. Plus, if you run into construction areas and have to take detours, you could end up nowhere near the place. Might be better to take a cab or tuk tuk. But, yes, it is entirely possible to walk there and back. Like I said, it's only about 3 km from the station.

Of course, unless you want to drop off your bags at the station, there's no reason why you can't just go straight to the Flower Market from the airport. No point in getting dropped off at the station just to get into another cab or tuk tuk, or just to start walking towards the Flower Market.

"Is it safe to roam around durin g12 am to 3am at Floating Market" I'm going to assume that you mean the "Flower Market." If so, then yes, it is safe to walk around. The place should be buzzing with activity, and very fun to experience.

No more Martial Law.

"Why not wear white?" The train to Aranyaphrathet is a 3rd Class ordinary train. No a/c. Windows will be down. They can become quite hot and grimy. I always found that when I rode that train between Bangkok and Prachinburi my white or light coloured shirts would always look like I'd just washed a car with them. Somehow the Thais don't seem to show it. I think it's some magic that they possess that the average westerner does not.

#7 Posted: 12/7/2014 - 07:49

• jedai2007

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2014

I appreciate all your help tilapia.i'll follow all ur advise.Thanks.

#8 Posted: 12/7/2014 - 18:25

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

again likely someone too hell-bent on those rolling iron museum pieces BUT:
    1.the train also stops at the first station out on ARL ex swampy-about 50-55 mins after it has left HLpong.
    2.used to be a comfy yellow bus direct to border as swampy airport, but has ceased. the Mochit buses also serve the BUSterminal @swampy, and end at border.
    3.by train have to bridge the gap station-border-tuktuk mafia-the make us all happy army has not arrived there yet.
    4.VAN to border from Vict.Monument-close by Phyathai ARL end, from 4.30/5.00-makes hardly any stop.
    5.THROUGH bus to Sreap from Mochit @8.00- often has seats left open, as cannot reserve online. If full-use the Aran bus, which starts there anyway ev 30/45 mins.

#9 Posted: 13/7/2014 - 06:02

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012

Tilapia,

You are correct in saying that most places will have stopped serving beer at that time.... except the 24 hour bars on KSR and Soi Rambuttri!

Also, you are advising to go directly to the Flower Market from the airport, and to walk around the market for 2 hours carrying giant backpacks just after arriving from a long flight. I don't know about you but I think I would personally prefer to sit down and have a couple of beers while waiting to go for my train...

I respectfully disagree with your advice.

#10 Posted: 22/7/2014 - 12:36

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i've been getting a kick out of this thread from the beginning, starting with JaiYen's incredibly fun and very specific advice on drinking beers until 0400 or 0430. not 0345. not 0445. and not scotch or anything else. beer.

also, to be fair, tilapia did mention the option of dropping the backpack at the train station before heading out. i don't know about you, but i travel pretty light, and my pack typically weighs only 8 or 9 kg, particularly at the start of a trip. it isn't giant, and carrying it with me for a few hours would not necessarily be a huge burden.

then again, i'd be more interested in the beers than the flowers after a long-haul flight from the states ;-)

the third-class train to aranyaprathet is one of the few third-class experiences i'd recommend in thailand. the train to kanchanaburi is another.

by the way, did anyone suggest catching a taxi at the airport directly to the border? vbr.

#11 Posted: 22/7/2014 - 16:02

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

I'm getting old - my first thought was get a hotel room by the train station and grab a few hours' kip and a shower.

#12 Posted: 22/7/2014 - 16:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station ... By Chicagojosh85 on 21 Nov 2012 9 3384 24 Nov 2012
Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Hualamphong station connection ... By sashanyc28 on 1 Jan 2010 8 13914 11 Jul 2010
How to go fro Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong train station ... By ilovetravelling on 13 Dec 2010 11 30162 10 Jul 2014
Transfer times from BKK Suvarnabhumi to Hualamphong Train Station ... By MoreAdventures on 3 Jan 2014 8 632 6 Jan 2014
From Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to the train station. ... By atarigangster on 26 Apr 2013 5 1514 26 Apr 2013
Hua Lamphong train station to Suvarnabhumi airport? ... By Emma23 on 23 May 2012 2 5989 24 May 2012
Suvarnabhumi Airport to don muang train station ... By woodyuk on 16 Oct 2008 6 8970 20 Oct 2008
Hualamphong to aranyaprathet ... By WelshGem on 17 May 2011 3 3618 18 May 2011
Guesthouse recommendation near the Bangkok Hualamphong station. ... By jsmckelvey on 16 May 2008 0 3892 16 May 2008
Taxi share Suvarnabhumi-Bangkok to poi pet (Aranyaprathet) ... By arcaaa on 6 Sep 2012 0 1779 6 Sep 2012