Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Planning trip to Thailand next August

• Annie26

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2014

Hi. What a fabulous blog this is - so much information. I am planning a surprise trip to Thailand for my partner's 50th birthday next August. I plan to go to Bangkok 3 nights, Chaing Mai 4 nights and Koi Samui 7 nights then back for a couple of nights in Bangkok. The weather worries me and now I don't know whether to go on his actual birthday in August or postpone the trip until November. The latter will have missed the point of the celebration I think but I wouldn't want to be drowned out for a week. Some people say the rain comes in short blasts in the rainy season unlike in the UK
    My question is will the rain spoil the trip in August. Thanks all

#1 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 03:52

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It does sometimes drizzle all day, but that is more the exception than the norm. In the tropics you're more likely to get a heavy thundershower in the later half of the day as warm humid air cools. Often the hotter the day is the more likely to have a big 1-2 hour rain in the evening, but if it's cloudy all day and starts to drizzle that can last longer. Tons of people visit Thailand throughout "rainy season" and are surprised how un-rainy it can be, even with whole strings of mostly sunny hot days. It's just not possible to predict until you're there. A few sunny days, maybe the odd shower (big small short long, etc). Very rarely do you get endless non-stop days of constant clouds and rain, like the UK, and once you've had a few cooking hot days and burnt skin it's quite nice to have a soothing rain.

#2 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 11:19

• Annie26

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2014

Thank you Captain_Bob
    I have read a lot of your replies to questions on this site and they are all very informative. I think I will fly by the seat of my pants and come in August. I think at this time of the year it is nice on Koi Samui and that is when we will need less rain. I have looked at Bophut and the Fisherman's village which looks right up my street as it seems to retain some culture and while it has some nightlife it's not the manufactured stuff on the east coast, let me know if I am wrong. I also think the rainy season is just as bad in Chaing Mai as in Bangkok but the guide books say it just makes everything more green. Will mosquitoes be more of a problem though? most of our four days there we will be looking at temples and museums but an elephant trek will be on the cards on my partner's birthday - something he will hopefully never forget
    Thank you once again

#3 Posted: 12/7/2014 - 02:05

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

As you say, the gulf islands (Samui/Phangan/Tao) tend to be drier in August. Most of the rest of the country is exposed to the SW monsoon season then, but again that doesn't mean it's raining all the time, can just as easily be sunny or at least mixed sun/cloud/rain with most rains lasting an hour or two. I'm living in Chiang Mai about 10 years, and the past few days have been mostly cloudy with on/off showers and one big run-for-cover downpour last night, but last week we had a few really sunny days. Forrest Gump's Mother said it best: you never know what you're gonna get. Bring sturdy footwear if you want to go trekking, to deal with muddy trails. As for mosquitos it's not usually a big problem unless you have sweet blood like my wife and they love her, but just bring the bug spray and cover up, and if you're unlucky enough to be near a breeding area (stagnant water) make a move elsewhere, or get one of these for a bit of mozzie tennis. I probably get bitten a dozen times a year so I must taste awful. ;-)

#4 Posted: 12/7/2014 - 06:52

• Annie26

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2014

Thank you so much for your help it is good to get insider information when trying to make a big decision

#5 Posted: 13/7/2014 - 03:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
planning my First trip in to Thailand ... By Maja on 21 Nov 2007 3 2295 22 Nov 2007
Planning a trip to thailand? ... By robemeen on 2 Mar 2014 2 495 2 Mar 2014
Need help planning a 2-week trip to Thailand! ... By Apoloplaza on 10 Jan 2009 6 2153 13 Jan 2009
First time planning trip to Thailand ... By sr78 on 10 Nov 2008 2 2031 12 Nov 2008
Help planning a trip to Laos and Thailand ... By shaungt08 on 7 Oct 2012 1 771 7 Oct 2012
Help planning a trip to Laos and Thailand ... By shaungt08 on 7 Oct 2012 6 2220 9 Oct 2012
Planning a trip to Thailand. Need advice!! ... By ali32 on 2 Apr 2013 3 1404 3 Apr 2013
108 Days trip planning (Thailand, Lao, Cambudia) ... By mixxat on 30 Apr 2012 12 2325 12 Jun 2012
Need help planning trip to Thailand, possibly Cambodia/Laos ... By marycolin on 9 Apr 2006 1 1775 9 Apr 2006
August -Thailand 1st time trip please help! ... By paulshuttle on 24 Dec 2008 4 1287 27 Dec 2008