Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Backpacking trough Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. HELP!

• earthrider

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2007

Hi!!

Just become a member at this great site, hope to get some help with planning my trip =)

My best friend and I am tracking from Bankok to Hanoi, June next year...we are going trough Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.. All the hostels/hotels and transportation coast are already payes, but we are on a tight budget!! So, here comes my question:

How much shold we budget a day in each country? This is for food, dring and souvenirs.. although we are carrying al over luggage so there wil probably not be to many souvenirs eigther...

Al answers welcome!!!!

#1 Posted: 25/9/2007 - 17:10

• Advertisement

• Bee

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2007

In Thailand, in general, you can find cheap but good quality Thai food all over the country. The cheapest dish is about 1 US dollar (or less) per portion. The price depends on location. If you buy food from a food vendor on footpath, you pay less than in a restaurant. If you buy food in an aircon-restaurant, of course, it is more expensive. If you go to a tourist destination, like Phuket, cost of living is more expensive than the other areas.
    The main food in Thailand is rice. Noodles are also very popular. If the hotels you are staying in provide breakfast, 3 USD per day is effortable for 2 meals plus water.
    About sovenirs, depends on what you want to buy. Try to avoid buying them from the tourist areas.

Have a nice trip

#2 Posted: 25/9/2007 - 18:53

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Cambodia is in my opinion a little more expensive for a traveler, but there too you can find local food for less than $1, and more foreigner oriented places have dishes for $1.50-3.

So if transport and accommodation is already paid for, it really depends on the amount you drink and the souvenirs you buy, but if you want to go cheap, $5 should be enough for food, even in Phnom Penh. Siem Reap is generally more expensive obviously, and Battambang seemed particularly cheap to me.

#3 Posted: 26/9/2007 - 01:40

• rakhee2108

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

If you budget $18USD (£9) per day for accommodation,transport and food, this should be plenty, especially since June is low season. The cost of food and drink alone is very little, esp if you eat at local places - no more than $4-5USD per day.

#4 Posted: 26/9/2007 - 03:28

• pongsakorn

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2007

sawasdee ( hello 0

if you are really on a tight budget , then i think booking a hotel is not important , CHEAP plenty of guest house are in thailand , Laos , and vietnam.

12 USD a night you can get a proper clean room and you might be lucky enough to get an aircon room too.. and sure you can get even cheaper price..

I don t know where you are from and what you are interest the most about this region , unbeaten track would be in laos , trip will be more ISOLATED and hardcore when you get closer to chinese border , China can be access from both Laos and Vietnam with a valid chinese visa, a train from hanoi( capital city of Vietnam to capital city of china also available )

recommended route Bangkok - cambodia ( via Koh kong ) - Hochimin ( vietnam)- through up by land arround 1000 km ++ - Hanoi - Loas- vientien -Lung prabang -chanig rai(thailand) by boat on river khong and Bangkok

Or go by land up to Hanoi and low cost air fly back to bangkok before heading south of thailand and malaysia
    www.airasia.com for los cost airline in this region

#5 Posted: 26/9/2007 - 07:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 19542 6 Mar 2011
20yo/M backpacking Cambodia- Laos - Thailand ... By andyt91 on 4 Jan 2012 1 737 5 Jan 2012
Itinerary for last minute month (June) of solo backpacking in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos ... By s1136380 on 19 May 2013 3 1664 19 May 2013