Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Chiang Mai night train from DMK upon arrival. How can I get a ticket before arriving?

Posted by Arikara1985 on 13/7/2014 at 18:13

My flight arrives at 330pm from Bali (October 4th) and I want to leave immediately for Chiang Mai. I'm just worried that if I try to buy it when I arrive it might already be sold out.

Any suggestions on what I can do here?

#1 Arikara1985 has been a member since 14/2/2013. Posts: 32

Posted by Captain_Bob on 14/7/2014 at 07:42

There are cheap connecting flights from DMK to CNX on Thai Lion Air, Air Asia and Nok Air.

Your options for buying train tickets are here: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#How_to_buy_train_tickets,_from_outside_Thailand

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,872

Posted by exacto on 14/7/2014 at 21:11

I'm a big fan of Thailand's overnight sleeper trains (particularly the first class cabins!), but in this case, I think I'd go with Captain Bob's suggestion and book an onward flight out of DMK for Chiang Mai . Give yourself a few hours to account for customs, immigration, and the inevitable delays, and catch a cheap flight straight away. You'll be in Chiang Mai in another hour - about the time you'd be catching that overnight train.

If you do decide to go with the overnight train, make sure you get a confirmed reserved sleeper berth, because a third-class sitter overnight would suck suck suck. You can always break up your trip with an overnight in Ayutthaya too. Just head there by train or bus or even taxi after you arrive at DMK and then catch the sleeper train the next night to Chiang Mai. Good luck!

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,631
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by captainbkk on 16/7/2014 at 06:35

go to station immed. after arr-there is not 1 train, but 3 or 4, ask and ask again-there maybe cancellations.If none to your exquisite liking, cross road back, take any upcountrybus to their end=Mochit and get overnight bus from there. At least 100 from some 20+ companies.

#4 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.