Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Southern Thailand beach - March 2015 for a first-timer to Thailand

• Levesque25

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2014

Greetings,

Wanted to ask for recommendations for a good beach in Southern Thailand in March for a solo-traveler and first-timer to Thailand. I'll be in Thailand and Cambodia for a month total but can spend 4 nights for the beach.

What I'm looking for are (preferably) white sand, clear water, not too overcrowded, clean, nice opportunities for jogging, mid-range accommodations, not into drinking or partying. A beach that's relatively chill but with an atmosphere that can wow a first-timer like myself.

I've done some preliminary reading/research but looking to get input from those who've been.

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 14/7/2014 - 23:01

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Good rundown of the islands here: http://www.travelfish.org/islands.php
    Ko Chang makes sense as a stopover between Thailand and Cambodia and has some nice beaches, but avoid Lonely Beach if you don't want to party. Hop down to Ko Maak for something quiter. Ko Samet is also on the way to/from Bangkok and has some nice white sand beaches and clear water, just try to ignore the dirty town/pier on arrival and head down to Tubtim beach which is much nicer and fairly low-key with two bungalow outfits and their restaurant/bars and you can always walk to the next bay for a change of scene. Further down the gulf despite the hype and full moon parties Ko Phangan still has some pretty nice beaches and chilled bungalows. Look at the quieter east coast bays like Than Sadet or the fishing village of Chalok Lam up north or nearby Mae Had which has some decent snorkeling, and somewhat isolated Bottle Beach. With just four beach days you'll want something that's relatively quick and easy to get to, otherwise I'd recommend Ko Lipe/Adang or Ko Kradan or Laoliang which are more idyllic but more trouble to reach. Also read Tezza's Island Blog http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com

#2 Posted: 15/7/2014 - 08:27

• Levesque25

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2014

Thanks Captain_Bob. Lots of good info on those links you shared. Will review them more.

As my current itinerary stands, I'm arriving in Thailand via BKK, spending a couple of weeks in Northern Thailand, then spending 9 days in Cambodia, then flying out of Phnom Penh airport (to save time) then ferry to one of the beaches. Ko Chang does make sense distance-wise in this case. Been reading about Ko Phangan as well.

Any tips on the best way to get to either of these two islands from Phnom Penh airport? Phnom Penh airport to Trat airport, then ferry to Ko Chang?

#3 Posted: 16/7/2014 - 10:26

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I would also suggest one of the islands in the Trat Province. Koh Chang, Koh Mak, Koh Wai, or even Koh Kut.

Unless you plan to go to one of the islands around Surat Thani or on the Andaman side, or even Koh Samet, flying would not save you much, if any, time. If you decide to go to one of the Trat Province islands, you'd be far better off just taking a bus which would see you in Trat in, providing everything goes smoothly, 7 or 8 hours. You could leave PP early in the morning and be swinging in your hammock with a beer on your island before the sun sets.

If you fly to Bangkok you'll have to take into consideration the time you spend hanging around PP waiting for your flight, flying time, getting through customs, then getting to Trat from Suvarnabhumi, which is about a 5 hour bus trip. But if you do decide to fly I think you can catch bus #9908 from the airport straight to Trat. If you want to go to Koh Samet, you can get bus #9906 from the airpot to Rayong.

#4 Posted: 17/7/2014 - 09:40

• J14Evans

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014

You might be interested in checking out Natai Beach then. It's one of the lesser known beaches near Phuket. Quiet, clean, and great atmosphere for jogging. It's not a typical tourist beach, no vendors just a few nice resorts along the coast. It's not the place to go for partying, but for full relaxation and a getaway it's great.

#5 Posted: 29/7/2014 - 20:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Northern/Southern Thailand Mid March to Mid April ... By RyMuayThaiGuy on 6 Mar 2011 4 1768 8 Mar 2011
1st Timer Thailand ... By samsubzsam on 1 Mar 2010 3 1156 1 Mar 2010
Southeast Asia March-June 2015 ... By cjbaines on 28 Sep 2014 3 581 31 Oct 2014
Thailand First-timer advice - head off in 10 days! ... By andreatravel on 6 Nov 2007 2 1796 6 Nov 2007
Thailand travel companion (Jan-Feb 2015) ... By itravelsolo on 18 Dec 2014 2 64 19 Dec 2014
27 y/o female heading from Northern Thailand thru Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand ... By starseed on 4 Mar 2011 10 3492 25 Apr 2011
Northern Thailand,Lao,Cam,Southern Thailand, Mal- 5months,How much cash is needed? ... By kernowfixing on 21 Feb 2010 5 3161 23 Feb 2010
Thailand January-February 2015 (Female Traveller) ... By indianfob4u on 3 Dec 2014 5 657 7 Dec 2014