Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand 30 days or longer with this itinerary

• Hilde_1

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2014
    Location Finland

Hi everyone!

We are 4 19-year old girls heading to SE Asia in December 2014. This will be our first longer trip ever. We will start in Vietnam, and stay there for 15 days. After this we'll explore Thailand. The question is - should we get a visa for 60 days or try to keep up with 30 days. Our very open plan looks like this:

Bangkok
    Autthaya?
    Chiang Mai
    Chumpon/Surat Thani (from which place is it better to leave for Ko Tao and Ko Samui) maybe?
    Khao Sok National Park
    Ko Phi Phi
    Ko Lanta?
    Ko Lipe
    Ko Taru Tao?

We may not visit all of the islands - which do you prefer? We'd like to chill on some laid back islands but party on some of them too. There seems to be a lot of different options and so many islands which makes it hard to choose :) Do you think this itinerary could be doable in 30 days? Or should we stay for 40-45?

Also, it is possible to get a visa from Langkawi for Malaysia, right? Or does the 90-day free pass for Malaysia mean we only get a stamp on the passport or something? If we'd continue from Ko Taru Tao straight to Langkawi.

I appreciate if you could help!

#1 Posted: 22/7/2014 - 08:05

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Hilde,

As long as you've got the time and the money, I'd plan to stay in Thailand as long as you can. Get a 60-day tourist visa before you leave home. That way you won't need to worry about getting a visa exemption extension while you are on holiday. You are only young once. Make the very most out of this opportunity with you and your friends.

On some of the other questions:

Ayutthaya is a great stop on the way to Chiang Mai , particularly if you are travelling by overnight train. If you are taking the bus, then Sukhothai or Kamphaeng Phet are good stops near the middle to break up the trip. All three places have good temple ruins to visit.

Chumphon is a good place to catch a ferry boat to Ko Tao. Surat Thani is a good place to catch a ferry boat to Ko Samui.

Look into flying from Chiang Mai to Surat Thani or even directly to Ko Samui. The extra money for the flight will be worth the time and effort you save.

Have a wonderful trip. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 23/7/2014 - 23:59

• Hilde_1

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2014
    Location Finland

Thank you exacto! Right, that's what we've thought. Why rush, when we have the time and the visa isn't that expensive after all. We are though going to Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia after Thailand. But I guess we stay the longest time in Thailand. Altogether we have time about +3 months.

We've planned to take the night train to Chiang Mai from Bangkok and just like you said, stop in Autthaya. I think the train is a better option than the bus? Also, we've thought about flying directly down from Chiang Mai, but the only question there was - is there anything worth visiting between Bangkok and Chumpong/Surat Thani? :) Haven't really found anything yet.

We'd like to do some snorkeling and kayaking while we're in Ko Tao. Is January a good time for that or should we pay a visit to some other island for that kind of activity?

Appreciate your answers! :) Thanks!

#3 Posted: 24/7/2014 - 01:26

• Hilde_1

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2014
    Location Finland

Also, I LOVE national parks, but I don't love spiders etc. So I thought, is it possible to do Ko Taru Tao as a day trip from Ko Lipe for example since I don't want to sleep together with spiders (neither do my friends)? Or just settle with Khao Sok National park?

#4 Posted: 24/7/2014 - 02:21

• Mabli

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2014

I like this sharing.

#5 Posted: 20/8/2014 - 13:53

• KaseyMose

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2014

Ayutthaya is lovely, and so is Chiang Mai . If you're planning on splurging on one stop like most people do, I highly recommend the Anantara Chiang Mai resort & spa.

#6 Posted: 26/8/2014 - 04:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Longer Term (30 days) Guesthouse Rec in Georgetown? ... By kuidaore on 1 Apr 2013 2 690 5 Apr 2013