Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand to Vietnam

• zaboo

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2007

Hi everyone! New to Travelfish, but am very much in need of your travel wisdom! I am planning a trip for January 2008 (with 2 companions), and am trying to get from Bangkok, through Laos and in to northern Vietnam, and back! All in an 11 day period... We are arriving on Jan 1st and meeting additional friends in Bangkok on the 11th or 12th to travel in Southern Thailand. Our thought was to travel through Laos, enjoying the countryside as we go but without extensive stay there... and heading to Vietnam to the area around Hanoi. SO of course my questions is: How do we do it? Are there trains or buses that go from Thailand to Vietnam? Do we need visas for both Vietnam & Laos? It's my understanding that we can get a Laos visa at the border but not a Vietnam Visa? I have done quite a bit of research but have been unable to come up with these answers! Please help! :)

Happy trails,
    ZaBoo

#1 Posted: 29/9/2007 - 00:10

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish zaBoo!

Thailand, Laos and Vietnam in eleven days, including time in the Thai islands? If there's not a typo, then you're going to need to do some international flights.

For example to overland from Luang Prabang in Laos to Hanoi takes a minimum of two full days on travel, likewise any Thai border to Luang Prabang one to two days.

If you we're flying, you could do something like the following (or in reverse) a cheap Thai AirAsia ticket from Bangkok to Hanoi, then fly from there with Lao Airlines to Luang Prabang, then overland south through Vang Vieng to Vientiane and then into northeast Thailand. Just doing that in eleven days would be a rush.

To get an idea of how long it takes to get from A to B, take a look at the itinerary planners, particularly the Asia loop one.

For visas, it depends on your nationality, but generally yes visa on arrival for Laos, but you need to get your Vietnam visa in advance (suggest getting it in Bangkok or Vientiane).

Hope that helps getting the planning started!

#2 Posted: 29/9/2007 - 08:42

• zaboo

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2007

Hi - Only the trip from Bangkok to Vietnam is 11 days... I am spending an additional two weeks in Southern Thailand.

Thanks for your advice!

ZaBoo

#3 Posted: 30/9/2007 - 23:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.