Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand to Vietnam

Posted by zaboo on 29/9/2007 at 00:10

Hi everyone! New to Travelfish, but am very much in need of your travel wisdom! I am planning a trip for January 2008 (with 2 companions), and am trying to get from Bangkok, through Laos and in to northern Vietnam, and back! All in an 11 day period... We are arriving on Jan 1st and meeting additional friends in Bangkok on the 11th or 12th to travel in Southern Thailand. Our thought was to travel through Laos, enjoying the countryside as we go but without extensive stay there... and heading to Vietnam to the area around Hanoi. SO of course my questions is: How do we do it? Are there trains or buses that go from Thailand to Vietnam? Do we need visas for both Vietnam & Laos? It's my understanding that we can get a Laos visa at the border but not a Vietnam Visa? I have done quite a bit of research but have been unable to come up with these answers! Please help! :)

Happy trails,
ZaBoo

#1 zaboo has been a member since 28/9/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/9/2007 at 08:42 admin

Welcome to Travelfish zaBoo!

Thailand, Laos and Vietnam in eleven days, including time in the Thai islands? If there's not a typo, then you're going to need to do some international flights.

For example to overland from Luang Prabang in Laos to Hanoi takes a minimum of two full days on travel, likewise any Thai border to Luang Prabang one to two days.

If you we're flying, you could do something like the following (or in reverse) a cheap Thai AirAsia ticket from Bangkok to Hanoi, then fly from there with Lao Airlines to Luang Prabang, then overland south through Vang Vieng to Vientiane and then into northeast Thailand. Just doing that in eleven days would be a rush.

To get an idea of how long it takes to get from A to B, take a look at the itinerary planners, particularly the Asia loop one.

For visas, it depends on your nationality, but generally yes visa on arrival for Laos, but you need to get your Vietnam visa in advance (suggest getting it in Bangkok or Vientiane).

Hope that helps getting the planning started!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by zaboo on 30/9/2007 at 23:58

Hi - Only the trip from Bangkok to Vietnam is 11 days... I am spending an additional two weeks in Southern Thailand.

Thanks for your advice!

ZaBoo

#3 zaboo has been a member since 28/9/2007. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.