Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

the Surat Thani Railway station scam to catch the last boat of the day to Koh Samui

• Terryofcrete

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2013

The train from Bangkok to Surat Thani can get delayed along the way and this makes it tight to catch the last boat to Koh Samui. When the train arrives there are guys running up and down the platform shouting Koh Samui, and as a first time traveller on that route, coming from Hua Hin, I asked how much to the boat and was told 150baht. Lovely ! However when he had gathered a dozen people into his van he took off at breakneck speed and 10 minutes later stopped and handed us over to another driver who demanded 900 bht per person for the rest of the journey including a boat ticket. It was on the open road with no real alternative, other than refuse to pay and stay the night, with all the complications that would involve with the itinerary, not to mention the cost. So, it cost 1050 bht to get from Surat Thani railway station to Koh Samui, a scam I'm sure. Is there genuine transport meeting the trains does anybody know, as my experience was so panicked that I didn't observe anything other than the cost.
    Thanks
    Terry

#1 Posted: 25/7/2014 - 13:17

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Terry,

Sorry to hear about your experience, but I hope it won't take the fun out of your trip too much. We've all been caught by such things from time to time. Just remember: Living well is the best revenge.

There are combination boat/bus/ferry tickets sold by various travel agents and websites, including Seat61. These types of combo tickets will help reduce scams, but won't eliminate them.

You can protect yourself by being as well informed as you can on the options and costs of transport, booking your travel whenever possible so that you aren't in a hurry, and just taking a moment to look around before you buy a ticket, because, as you learned, once you buy the ticket, you are working for them.

Most important, remember from the Hitchhiker's Guide and Don't Panic! Good luck.

#2 Posted: 25/7/2014 - 14:07

• Terryofcrete

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2013

Thank you for the response and the good advice. Normally that is what I would do as you wisely advised , however I wanted to experience the train journey and could find no packages including the train journey. I am glad I went by train, it was so comfortable and very civilised in 2nd class and was not expensive. It was a pity that the experience was tainted by this little upset. I keep reminding myself that even when scammed the price is still less than it would be at home ! That does the trick and settles the anger ! Thanks again !
    Terry

#3 Posted: 26/7/2014 - 04:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I had a guy try to do this to me in Bangkok - but I just refused to pay. I said to him "You made a deal man". He drove off, I hailed a taxi - but I didn't give him one satang.

#4 Posted: 26/7/2014 - 07:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh samui via Surat thani train station - WARNING FOR INDEPENDENT TRAVELLERS! ... By johnno on 7 Jan 2010 2 13928 18 Mar 2013
the closest bus station to railways station in Surat Thani ... By vit9 on 3 May 2012 2 1540 4 May 2012
Koh Samui via Surat Thani? ... By chrisa77 on 19 Sep 2007 7 5748 25 Sep 2007
Samui/Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By msaw on 3 Jan 2008 6 4472 4 Jan 2008
Hat Yai- Surat Thani - Koh Phangan/Samui ... By dihaamir on 12 Jan 2011 0 4105 12 Jan 2011
Minibus from Penang/Butterworth to Surat Thani/Koh Samui? ... By bianco on 22 Apr 2010 12 24205 30 Apr 2010
Bangkok railway station lockers ... By gijsvanpelt on 3 Jul 2011 3 6486 3 Jul 2011
nearest railway station to Vinh Moc tunnels ... By roynolan on 15 Oct 2009 1 2751 15 Oct 2009
Luggage Storage at Hanoi Railway Station ... By tron0801 on 4 Apr 2009 4 7815 19 Oct 2009
Enough time to catch the ferry in Koh Samui?? ... By marie79 on 4 Oct 2013 2 811 5 Oct 2013