Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

2 Weeks for Adventure & Relaxation

• hannahsquid-
    ge

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2014

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are planning a well deserved holiday in November and are thinking of heading to Thailand. We want a bit of adventure and to see some of the culture, whilst also having some beach time for R&R. We also fancy diving. So we're thinking of splitting the holiday into three sections - Bankok, National Park/Explore (e.g. Chaing Mai or Khao Sam rot), followed by some beach paradise and diving.

Can anyone recommend a good itinerary based on this? We'd be travelling from and to London and have 2 weeks.

Not sure whether we would be better sticking to one part of Thailand - North or South - rather than trying to cover everything in such a short space of time?

Beach wise would prefer not to go somewhere that is too touristy - I hear Phuket is a bit ruined by tourists.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 5/8/2014 - 07:55

• Advertisement

• taorentals

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2014

Nice plan. You are going at correct place. Thailand is a beautiful place for vacation.

#2 Posted: 6/8/2014 - 11:04

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

In November avoid the lower Gulf of Thailand east coast (Ko Samui/Phangan/Tao). Peak rainy season on that side. Meanwhile rains should be tapering off on the west coast but it can still be iffy. If scuba diving is a priority, unfortunately many of the best dive sites are close to some of the most touristy islands/beaches (Phi Phi, Phuket, Khao Lak, Lipe). Ko Lanta can be a good balance of roominess and a few not so touristy beaches, and dive shops offering daily trips to Ko Ha, Ko Bida Nok, and Hin Daeng/Muang. You could combine this with some trekking and raft house stay (gorgeous) in Khao Sok national park. With your limited time frame and set of priorities I'd say keep it south not try to do north&south in two weeks.

#3 Posted: 6/8/2014 - 12:21

• Johnson6B

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2014

Bangkok for a couple days, Chiang Mai and then perhaps end with Samui if you want some beach time. The best beaches are in the south, so best to go last as the rain season will be tapering down by then. If you want something non touristy check out Hanuman Bay. It's more private, not many tourists or vendors, and some really great resorts for relaxation. I stayed at one of the resorts called Akaryn, it was fantastic. A different sort of experience than you would get at typical beaches in Thailand, very relaxing, great view, and excellent service. There's a coral reef there as well if you fancy diving.

#4 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 22:23

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

If you visit the Gulf islands it would be easy to visit Khlong Saeng Wildlife Sanctuary on the mainland. I highly recommend it.

#5 Posted: 19/8/2014 - 06:56

• HunterC

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2014

Thailand is great, lovely to relax and enjoy a change of surroundings. Phuket may be a bit over crowded but if you go for a resort like the Anantara Phuket Villas, you can escape the throngs and enjoy some privacy.

#6 Posted: 26/8/2014 - 04:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.