Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Kanchanaburi - renting a car - good or bad idea?

• Surefolly

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2014

I was thinking about renting a car in Kanchanaburi so my family and I can drive ourselves around to see the sites. Wondering if anyone has had experience or advice. I was thinking it would be easier than depending on buses and tours. Thank you.

#1 Posted: 8/8/2014 - 18:12

• Advertisement

• Surefolly

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2014

I also thought about renting a car at the Bangkok airport and then driving to Kanchanaburi. Would love some thoughts on that as well. Thanks again.

#2 Posted: 8/8/2014 - 18:23

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Are you used to driving a right hand drive car? I am used to LHD so I don't want to suddenly switch to RHD. I might take a chance in the UK where there is more driver discipline. But I don't feel that confident in Thailand.

Personally I think the best option is to hire a car and a chauffeur.

#3 Posted: 9/8/2014 - 09:39

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I hired a car a few years ago, and drove from Chiang Mai down to BKK (via Kanchanburi and other places over a week). I found it straight forward - no problems. They drive on the same side as we do in NZ which made it easier... but currently I'm driving in Turkey at times, and it's on the opposite to what I'm used to. You adapt pretty quickly as long as you aren't a timid driver.

#4 Posted: 9/8/2014 - 09:54

• Surefolly

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2014

Thanks for the input. I've driven in Ireland and did pretty well - you get used to it pretty fast. I think we're going to rent a car at the Bangkok airport and then drive to Kanchanaburi. I like the idea of us being able to get around that whole area and not having to depend on a tour or a driver. From what I've heard form others once you get out of Bangkok, it's pretty straight forward. I have however heard from many people that it's not wise to drive at night - so I'll make sure we don't.

#5 Posted: 11/8/2014 - 12:42

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

The hardest thing will be getting out of Bangkok... You might be better off renting a car in Kanchanaburi if possible. I've driven and motorbiked extensively throughout Kanchanaburi province and found it very easy, but Bangkok can be really difficult (and a lot more dangerous). Also I don't see any reason to avoid driving at night in Kanchanaburi. The roads are wide, traffic is minimal and signs are very well marked for all of the attractions. Even so, I'd still want some sort of GPS capabilities. Kanchanaburi is a good place to rent a car b/c it's a huge province and so many of the attractions are spread over a very large area; the freedom of having your own wheels would make it a lot more enjoyable. With a car you could go up to Sangkhlaburi and back, cutting over to Erawan NP on the way there or back. You could stay somewhere in between, like Sai Yok NP or Thong Pha Phum . If you're adventurous you could cut all the way west from Thong Pha Phum to the village of Pilog and Thong Pha Phum NP... That would take you way out there into the mountains where it's even more beautiful than most of the province, which is lovely in general.

#6 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 01:21

• Surefolly

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2014

Thanks DLuek.

#7 Posted: 14/8/2014 - 12:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Angkor App for iPhone. Good idea? ... By DuncanStuart on 9 Feb 2010 8 3746 12 Feb 2010
No plans just going to arrive, good or bad idea? ... By Rassklass on 30 Sep 2010 16 2921 25 Nov 2010
Paying $$$ to volunteer? Usually not a good idea ... By mariannewiseman on 31 Jan 2010 0 2728 31 Jan 2010
Paying $$ to Volunteer? Usually not a good idea. ... By sunflowerorphancentre on 23 Jan 2009 101 28484 19 Jan 2011
postage service is this a good idea? ... By mick110971 on 24 Jul 2008 1 1605 24 Jul 2008