Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Lost camera at Don Muang airport, Bangkok - how safe is it there

• pjputs

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2014

On 28thJuly, between 7pm and 7:30pm, I have lost my camera at Don Muang airport in theDepartures zone (tax-free zone). It is a Nikon Coolpix AW120 camera (coloursbright red and black) in an orange pouch with 3 storage cards : 1x 32Gb in thecamera, 1x 32Gb + 1x 8Gb in a pocket in the pouch. These contain the holidaypictures of my family : holiday of a lifetime. We are verysad to loose them ...
    Actually I wanted to put up a reward, but don't know how to post such a message at the airport itself (or other location in Thailand) - any ideas?
    Reward of $500for camera + cards, or $300 for the cards only (with original pictures, I maybe able to read the pictures even after a format)

#1 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 07:11

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Firstly, have you contacted the airport? They have a lost and found (although there's little info on their website around it in English: http://donmueangairportthai.com/en/386-lost--found ) so you might get lucky and found some nice person has turned it in.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 07:52

• pjputs

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2014

Hi Antonia, thanks for your response.
    I have contacted lost & found as well as the information desk at Don Muang - no result.
    This may well have been an opportunistic thief, and my problem is really how to put up a flyer (or similar) there (at the airport or other relevant location) as a finder/thief might realize the value (esp. of the storage cards) for me and then not ditch or reformat the cards but instead go for the reward ...
    Any suggestions from your side?
    Kind regards, Pierre

#3 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 07:57

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

As you came up blanks with the airport, I figure it like this: either it was picked up by an employee, or it was picked up by another traveller.

If it was an employee, they might see a posting on an employee's notice board at the airport, but there's no way to get one there (as the airport info desk and lost-and-found are ignoring you) unless you know someone who works there. Airport employees aren't going to be hanging out in traveller's forums, like this one, so they won't see this message. And even if you could get something posted in the airport and they did see it, it's highly unlikely they'd do anything. If they were honest, they'd have handed it in already. If they're dishonest, they've probably already sold it. Or if it's still in their possession, they'd probably be afraid of contacting you even if they did see the notice, for fear of you then turning them in to the police when they tried to collect the reward. Dishonest people tend to suspect other people of being underhanded, in my experience.

If it was a tourist, you might have some luck posting notices on sites like this. I'd also post on Thorntree and any other major Thai tourism sites you can find. I figure a tourist is more likely to hang onto your camera (either to use it themselves, or to try and sell later). But a tourist is unlikely to see anything posted in the airport, so I wouldn't worry about trying to get stuff into the airport. Just post messages everywhere tourists are likely to see, and hope you get lucky (and check very carefully that whomever contacts you actually does have your stuff - I imagine the amount of money you're talking about will bring scammers out of the woodwork).

I'm very sorry that you've lost the pictures (I have nightmares about that sort of thing), so fingers crossed that you get some luck.

#4 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 12:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Chang to Bangkok Airport? Is it Safe? ... By samh90 on 20 May 2010 9 5628 5 Nov 2010
LOST CAMERA ... By Juve on 2 Feb 2009 0 1724 2 Feb 2009
Cash Money /jewellery safe in Bangkok/ Airport ? ... By idolevy on 18 Mar 2009 1 2950 18 Mar 2009
lost camera in kampot! ... By barnie77 on 4 Jan 2009 0 1710 4 Jan 2009
Lost camera (Haad Rin Koh Phangan) ... By indianajo on 27 Apr 2010 5 2672 23 Aug 2013
Urgent! Is it safe to go from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang ariport ... By travbug on 16 May 2010 9 2360 18 May 2010
Best way to keep a DSLR and compact camera safe while backpacking through south east asia? ... By hotbox99 on 20 Oct 2009 16 18584 14 Apr 2010
Sukhothai to Don Muang Airport ... By Madara on 4 Nov 2013 11 620 4 Nov 2013