Thailand forum

Camera equipment in Bangkok

• esseestperc-
    ipi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014
    Location Spain

Hi everyone!
    I have been searching the forum for some information on purchasing camera equipment in Bangkok and what I have found is a few years old. Si forgive me if this is repetitive:

I find myself (finally!) in BKK and I need to buy a memory card for my camera. Where is the best place to head to? I also need some ilford B&W film. But I dont know if this will be easy to find.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 29/8/2014 - 04:54

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

You can buy memory cards just about anywhere; loads of camera shops in MBK, Pantip Plaza and pretty much any of the big malls. Personally I go to a shop on the 3rd floor of Emporium (right next to the escalator that's nearest to the entrance from Phrom Phong BTS station). For the black-and-white film, you might check Camera & Lens in Central Rama 3 Mall down in Sathorn... They specialize in Leica products and also sell used cameras; I imagine they can point you in the right direction if they don't actually have what you're looking for. You also might check the vintage camera shops listed in this article: http://bk.asia-city.com/shopping/article/vintage-vogue

#2 Posted: 29/8/2014 - 05:18

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hello!

To my best knowledge, the supply of film is erratic in South-East Asia, especially 120 and larger film sizes.

Try asking here:
    http://procolorlab.com/

There is a list here bit it hasn't been updated since 2011
    http://www.danimalweb.co.uk/blog/2012/01/20/buying-camera-film-in-south-east-asia/

Unfortunately in Asia, Japan and probably HK are the only places with a readily available supply of film materials.

#3 Posted: 29/8/2014 - 10:53

• esseestperc-
    ipi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014
    Location Spain

Fantastic! Thank you DLuek.
    I have checked MBK this afternoon. There were about 5 or 6 shops with memory cards, but double or almost triple the price in Europe, and half the memory.! (Just for information - I was looking for a Sandisk Compactflash Extreme 128GB or more - and nobody had one. Maximum I found was 64gb for 22.500 THB!)
    I'll check tomorrow the places you suggested.

Thanks again!

#4 Posted: 29/8/2014 - 10:53

• esseestperc-
    ipi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014
    Location Spain

Just a short up date & for future reference:
    I finally found Ilford film. At Siam Square, though they only had 100 ISO Ilford Pan 35mm Film. Any other film has been impossible to find, apart from basic Kodak.

#5 Posted: 21/9/2014 - 04:31

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014
    Location United States

@esseestpercipi...that price is absolute madness for the memory card! If you have a little time in Bangkok, you'd be better off buying one on Amazon and getting it expressed there.

For anyone else wondering about camera equipment in Bangkok: I just spent a lot of time searching the web and Bangkok's malls for the right place to buy my camera. Ended up buying a grey market Nikon at Capa at Fortune Town for the cheapest price I'd found around. No issues yet - knock on wood. There's an extensive Flickr thread here full of people's camera shop recommendations.

#6 Posted: 22/9/2014 - 04:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.