Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Booking first days accomodation in Bangkok online?

• AK169

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2014

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are heading into Bangkok on 25th September, to start our 6 months travel around SEA.
    We were thinking it would be a good idea to book our first 2/3 days of accommodation online so that we don't have to worry too much when getting off the plane.
    The problem we are having is everything looks quite pricey and suspicious especially compared to what we've read on here. Any recommendation on specific sites we should be using? / Places to check out?
    Or are we better off, heading to the Khao San area and checking a few places out?

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 29/8/2014 - 08:08

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Where are you seeing "pricey and suspicious"?
    About how much are you looking to spend?
    Have you already browsed the Bangkok accommodation listings here on Travelfish, like this one for Khao San area?

Up to you whether you want to reserve/book something in advance. But if not, I'd at least recommend having a few places picked out that you might try to walk into, and try to familiarize yourself with the area where they are by looking on Googlemaps for a bit... I personally wouldn't recommend going straight to Khao San Road as the accommodation right on Khao San is generally pretty crummy / overpriced compared to surrounding streets like Tani, Samsen and the National Library area up near Thewet Pier (I'd recommend any of those areas -- 5 to 20 minute walk north of Khao San Road -- for a first-timer to BKK). Once you've picked a place try to figure out what soi it's closest to (or on), e.g. Samsen Soi 6. Taxi drivers don't usually know obscure guesthouses by name, but they should know the soi.

#2 Posted: 29/8/2014 - 09:29

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I second what DLuek says about having a few places picked out in advance and getting familiar with the area you wish to stay before you arrive. I'd also look to stay around the fringe of Khao San Road rather than on the road proper.

Personally, I always try to book at least my first night's accommodation when arriving after a long haul flight, when I don't know the city, or if it is a busy travel period (like New Year's). I think you would be smart to book at least your first night too, and maybe splash out a bit on something nice to help make that transition and get over jet lag.

The only time I wouldn't book ahead for a big city is if I'm arriving relatively early in the day. As I recall, most of the flight from North America arrive in Bangkok very late, and that is when they are on time. But the flights from Europe arrive fairly early, which would give you time to look around. But it would also depend on how much stuff you've got and if you are willing to lug it around with you while you look for a room. That's doable, but a bit of effort that could be avoided with an advance booking.

How much did you expect to spend for that first night or two? Cheers.

#3 Posted: 29/8/2014 - 10:01

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

The guys above give good advice - check out the reviews on this site to find a few guesthouses that appeal, then check for them on Agoda (links available from the accom pages of this site), which is currently listing dozens of properties in Bangkok for $10-$15 per night.

#4 Posted: 29/8/2014 - 10:59

• AK169

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2014

Hi,

Thanks all, we'll get in quite early, but given your advise, I think we may splash out a little on the first night or 2 and get somewhere a bit fancier, then move to somewhere cheaper (closer to 10$ hopefully).
    Moving away from Khao San road itself sounds good. Lots of nice looking places on the link you provided. Thanks again, we are very excited!

Cheers!

#5 Posted: 1/9/2014 - 08:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Booking Air Asia online ... By emmryss on 14 Dec 2007 9 19399 18 Feb 2009
KTM trains online booking ... By fox80 on 20 Feb 2011 2 34645 24 Feb 2011
Lao Airlines online booking ... By daawgon on 7 Apr 2012 2 1757 26 Apr 2012
Online ferry booking? ... By shakester on 17 Nov 2008 1 2499 26 Nov 2008
online train ticket booking ... By alex82 on 23 May 2013 6 2017 25 May 2013
Booking train to Chiang Mai online ... By erinj on 3 Aug 2007 6 3694 12 Aug 2007
Difficulty booking online with AirAsia... ... By ms1892 on 19 Feb 2010 11 6789 9 Mar 2010
online booking of hostel or hotel ... By Bello on 23 May 2007 11 2352 5 Jun 2007
Booking accomodation ... By burgisg on 16 Nov 2006 2 1724 16 Nov 2006
Booking hostels online and airport pickup ... By Pokol on 29 Sep 2009 12 3076 14 Mar 2010