Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok and ???

• atousa

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2007

I'm going to Bangkok from November 8th to the 11th. I was planning on spending about 6 days somewhere else.
    So my question is, where can I go after Bangkok? I will be in SE Asia from December 19th to January 4th, but was planning on spending most of my time in Vietnam. I'm thinking of three itineraries that would save me time in December.

1. Fly from Bangkok to Udon Thani, and then take the bus across the border into Vientiane.
    2. Fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh(killing fields, s1, etc) and a few days around Siem Reap.
    3. Fly from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur, go to the Batu Caves.

Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia were all countries I wanted to see in December. Vietnam and Singapore are also on the list, but my visa for Vietnam is in December and I'm flying out of Singapore, so I have to go there anyway.

Where else can I squeeze into 6 days?

#1 Posted: 3/10/2007 - 19:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

My vote is for Cambodia: it's the best one for a 6 day trip. Fly Bangkok to Phnom Penh, hang out there for a couple of days, then boat or bus to Siem Reap, two to three days there, then either overland or fly back to Bangkok.

#2 Posted: 3/10/2007 - 19:37

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

cambodia is a great option and definitely something you could manage in those six days. flying to pp instead of siem reap will save you money, and then you could overland the rest of the trip. as cool as those places are, just a few days each should be enough to get a good feel for them.

since you mentioned laos, if your budget allows, you might also consider flying in and out of luang prabang for your six days. that would be a rewarding and relaxing time.

if you were thinking of staying more around bangkok, six days on samet island could be fantastic, particularly if you arrived mid-week and arrange your accommodation before the weekenders arrive.

i might also consider just hanging out, splitting the time between kanchanaburi and ayutthaya. great history, ruins, and food options. plus it would be a less expensive and less hectic possibility.

let us know what you decide to do and drop a line telling us about the experience. sounds like fun. regards.

#3 Posted: 3/10/2007 - 21:47

• atousa

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2007

No Malaysia? If I go to Malaysia now, then I can cut it out completely in December and fly directly from Bangkok to Singapore.
    I guess the same can be said about Cambodia though. If I do it in November, then I can bypass it completely in December.
    What about Laos? Is it too much of a hassle to try to visit in 6 days? I heard Air Asia was introducing a flight to Vientiane in November, but I'm not sure how concrete that rumor is.
    I'm just trying to think of possible routes/combinations that will save money and time in December.

#4 Posted: 3/10/2007 - 22:39

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ditto the recommendation for Cambodia and several days in PP and Siem Reap. See the temples before they start having hot air balloon flights over them, or laser shows.

#5 Posted: 4/10/2007 - 02:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.