Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

SHOULD I PRE-BOOK FOR CHRISTMAS TRAVEL?

• mrsdaisypoo

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2007

I am travelling to Thailand over Christmas and was wondering whether people would recomend booking the night trains and buses before travelling. I know that its very busy at that time of year so i am not sure whether to pre-book or not .I will be going on popular routes including bangkok to surat thani and then bangkok to chaing mai and back, I am only going for 3 weeks so am on quite a tight schedule.

Also does anybody know where to book from on the web?

Thanks
    mrsdaisypoo

#1 Posted: 3/10/2007 - 20:36

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi daisy,

the latest feature story is exactly about when you'll want to book ahead and when it isn't as necessary for travel in thailand. give it a read. it is well done.

based on your question, i'd definitely recommend booking the train ahead of time. you can travel by train to/from bangkok/surat thani and to/from bangkok/chiang mai, which in my opinion is safer, more comfortable and more scenic than the bus. there are also many discount fight options directly to/from chiang mai worth a look.

as the feature article recommends, you may also wish to book at least the first night of your accommodation in a new place. that will give you a place to put your pack and look around. if you like it you can stay, but if you find something better, you can move. since it seems like you'll be there over new year's, i'd definitely consider booking those night's accommodation ahead of time too to make sure you get a decent room.

charlie connection in bangkok books trains via their website. i've used them before and was pleased with the service. others have recommended other services, including seat 61 for info and possibly even booking. you can book directly with most airlines or via a travel agent like charlie connection too.

look at the accommodation listings on Travelfish for info on places that will book ahead. many don't, but you'll find a few that do. i hope that helps. please be sure to read the feature. cheers.

#2 Posted: 3/10/2007 - 21:42

• roverinexile

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2006

Definitely book ahead for night trains north. We tried to book in December for early January and had no luck. Similarly in CHiang Mai in early Jan, many of our top picks were fully booked. Provided you know your itinerary, it's worth a few phone calls in advance.

#3 Posted: 5/10/2007 - 04:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
HELP!!! Accomodation at Christmas...pre book or book when we get there??? ... By Danyelle on 19 Nov 2010 7 2008 21 Nov 2010
book in advance for christmas ... By pia2am on 11 Aug 2009 7 2460 12 Aug 2009
How soon to book flights from Bangkok - Ko Samui for Christmas? ... By alt on 17 Oct 2011 5 1250 18 Oct 2011