Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Khao Sok National Park

• rocketgirl

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2007

Does anyone have any information about staying at Khao Sok National Park? I would ideally like to stay there for 2 days/3 nights in January 08, however I can't afford the tour prices, but still want to spend a night on a rafthouse on the lake. I've found some accommodation in the jungle, but I can't seem to find anything on the lake. Is there a way of booking this without resorting to a tour? Also how do you get from the jungle to the lake?

I may end up having to resort to a tour though - if so can anybody recommend a good tour company?

#1 Posted: 4/10/2007 - 21:08

• Advertisement

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

hi

All the guesthouses offer tours including the rafthouse overnight stay - most probably all the same crew. I would wait until I got to Khao Sok before booking anything.

Regards

Marian

#2 Posted: 5/10/2007 - 02:17

• roverinexile

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2006

Agreed with Marian - all guest houses have tours & walks. We just took a day walk along the river (not much water when we went).

Be warned if you're taking a minivan on to Krabi. All the guest house owners lie about where it drops you off. It doesn't take you to downtown Krabi or the ferry terminal, but to a travel agency outside the town, where you are pressured to buy tickets to the islands. If you decline, they offer to take you into the ferry terminal for 50THB, but drop you at the old terminal, instead of the new one, and give the wrong times for the ferries to Lanta etc. Instead, you can walk a couple of hundred yards and get a songthaew to the terminal for a couple of baht. Just take care and use regular public transport as much as possible.

#3 Posted: 5/10/2007 - 04:26

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I drove there in a 4WD which proved quite useful as it was pretty wet. (It IS rain forest!).
    Unfortunately I haven't got the address of where we stayed to hand. But I would recommend a night walk if they do one at your chosen guesthouse

#4 Posted: 5/10/2007 - 09:33

• rocketgirl

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2007

Thanks - especially for the warnings about the Krabi minivans.

Do any of you know if Khao Sok National Park gets booked out around Christmas and New Year? I'll be getting there on 2-3rd Jan 08. I've looked at a few guesthouse reviews and think I'll go with Art's Riverview Guesthouse. If anyone's stayed there and could tell me what it's like I'd appreciate it. I'm scared of spiders (yes I know there's loads of them there!!), so I want to stay somewhere with a decent mosquito net, or I'll never be able to sleep cause I'll be scared!!!

#5 Posted: 5/10/2007 - 15:18

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey rocket,

the christmas and new years holiday is a very busy time in thailand. things can get booked out, so you'd do well to book your accommodation and transportation ahead of time if you know where you plan to be.

i can't say if art's riverview has good mossie nets or not, but if spiders are a big issue for you, you might want to purchase your own mossie net and carry it with you. that way you'll be properly protected at art's and anywhere else you happen to stay on your holiday. take care.

#6 Posted: 5/10/2007 - 21:19

• karyn

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2006

Hi Rocketgirl,

I stayed at Art's last summer and would recommend it. It is small enough that Art will help you with whatever you need. The treehouses are well kept and spacious...the nets are fine. Art's food is also quite good and the restaurant setting is great. Actually, the setting of the whole property is enjoyable. I took the river rafting tour and it was fun.

#7 Posted: 6/10/2007 - 22:12

• raffaela

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2007

Rocket Girl, i've never been in Thailand (will be there in 10 days) but while surfing the net i've found this places in Khao Sok, maybe it's the sort of places you wanted?
    http://www.paddleasia.com/khao-sok-bungalows.htm
    http://www.paddleasia.com/khao-sok-river-bungalows.htm

i'd love to go on the treehouse one
    also its says in Khao Sok they don't have mosquitos!! wonderful news

have a fabulous trip
    Raffaela : )

#8 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 06:22

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Anyone claiming no mosquitoes is clearly telling porkies....so what else are they misleading you about?????

#9 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 09:59

• raffaela

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2007

oh yes in every forum there's somebody who's too lazy to make the effort of finding useful informations for others (..."unfortunately I haven't got the address of where we stayed to hand..."),but is very quick to criticize others contributions... you won the prize, this time, khunwilko.
    i was just quoting from this site http://www.paddleasia.com/khao-sok-bungalows.htm " Mosquito netting is supplied, though mosquitoes are rare in Khao Sok for some strange reason" I have admitted in the first place i haven' been there so - instead of talking about "porkies"- why don't you give us your experience? Did you find lots of mosquitos in the park? what season ? where exactly? this way you could be useful, not just plain negative....

#10 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 18:02

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Yes I have been as I said...OK...and any info I give or don't give is well informed and reasonably accurate....As for giving you the benefit of my experience....you must be joking....enjoy your bout of dengue fever!

#11 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 19:43

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Furthermore I have work to do and if you think I'm running around because some idiot like you is incapable of telling the difference between competent research and an advert.....etc etc.....

now rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying......blow arse go it of out your

#12 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 19:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well, it's taken up some 10,000 odd posts, but it's always a coming of age for a messageboard when a couple of members start slanging it out... reminds me a bit of Thorntree ;-)

raffaela, khunwilko -- thanks for spicing up the discussion, but appreciated if it endeth here!

#13 Posted: 13/11/2007 - 21:01

• raffaela

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2007

You are right Somtan, i'll definitely end it here, there's not much to add, i think.

Raffaela

#14 Posted: 14/11/2007 - 05:02

• regina5

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

Rocketgirl I think this might be what you were looking for. The downside is that it might be difficult to get here without a car: http://tinyurl.com/2c2zvo

#15 Posted: 14/11/2007 - 05:13

• raffaela

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2007

Rocketgirl, this is the one Karyn was talking about (Art's place), without the tour.
    http://krabidir.com/artsriverviewlodge/index.htm
    i'll tell you about mosquitos when back ; )

#16 Posted: 14/11/2007 - 07:10

• karyn

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2006

When I was at the park, I met up with a tour group who stayed on the lake. They had mixed reviews of the accommodations for their one night and were glad to be staying at Art's.

#17 Posted: 15/11/2007 - 07:52

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Rocketgirl,

If staying at Arts request Treehouse A B or C - they are the best ones in the nicest area... our first night we were in D and it was shocking... we were then moved to I think it was A or B and it was a totally different ballgame!!

We booked all ours through Kris at www.limestonelaketours.com and found the price really competitive to what we could do ourselves... however if you book into Arts you can arrange the floating rafthouses yourself through there...

I would look at Kris' prices first though... you can see our blog on Khao Sok at www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet - I think the blog is on Page 2

Reet x

#18 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 19:15

• Bananushka

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2011

If you want to get to Khao Sok’s floating rafts on the lake by yourself without booking a tour, here’s how we did it.
    First, you can catch a Phuket-bound bus if coming from Surattani, or a Surattani-bound bus if coming from Phuket/Khao Lak. You can take the public bus, which shouldn’t cost more than 140 baht per person. You either buy a ticket at the bus station or pay onboard. Tell the ticket person on the bus that you want to go to Ratchaprapha Dam. They will stop right at the entrance to the road that leads to the dam/pier. Now the trick is to find someone who will take you right to the pier; ideally, that would be a taxi of some sort. However, since you will be dropped off in a village/little town, we didn’t see any taxis other than motorbike taxis. If you have a large backpack with you, that might not be convenient. We asked around and found someone who took us there on his pickup and charged 500 for 4 people.
    Once you arrive at the pier, you will need to purchase a ticket to enter the National Park (for 200 baht). Then most likely you will be approached by representatives of various raft houses on the lake and offer you to stay with them. There are about a dozen different places, some of the names are: Putawan, Ha Roi Rat, Chiaw Lan, Nang Prai, Tone Toey, Krai Sorn. As far as we understand, they all charge the same – 2,000 baht for boat transfer both ways, and 600 baht per person per night including 3 meals a day. We stayed at Putawan raft house, they have newer huts that cost 1,000 baht per person. We stayed in one of the older huts and paid 600 per person. The meals were great, they always served a lot of food and bottled water with each meal. Additional drinks (such as pop and beer)/meals are extra. Putawan is the very first raft house, closest to the dam at about 30 minutes travel by boat. Service was great and we enjoyed our stay very much. Their site is http://www.putawanrafthouse.com. You can call them right from the pier and they will send a boat for you. Included in the boat transfer were night and morning safaris. They also helped us arrange minivan transfer back to Surattani.
    I hope this helps to anyone looking to just stay on the beautiful lake and not do the tour offered by tour companies. Please ask me questions if you have any. Enjoy!

#19 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 04:08

• Bananushka

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2011

If you want to get to Khao Sok’s floating rafts on the lake by yourself without booking a tour, here’s how we did it.
    First, you can catch a Phuket-bound bus if coming from Surattani, or a Surattani-bound bus if coming from Phuket/Khao Lak. You can take the public bus, which shouldn’t cost more than 140 baht per person. You either buy a ticket at the bus station or pay onboard. Tell the ticket person on the bus that you want to go to Ratchaprapha Dam. They will stop right at the entrance to the road that leads to the dam/pier. Now the trick is to find someone who will take you right to the pier; ideally, that would be a taxi of some sort. However, since you will be dropped off in a village/little town, we didn’t see any taxis other than motorbike taxis. If you have a large backpack with you, that might not be convenient. We asked around and found someone who took us there on his pickup and charged 500 for 4 people.
    Once you arrive at the pier, you will need to purchase a ticket to enter the National Park (for 200 baht). Then most likely you will be approached by representatives of various raft houses on the lake and offer you to stay with them. There are about a dozen different places, some of the names are: Putawan, Ha Roi Rat, Chiaw Lan, Nang Prai, Tone Toey, Krai Sorn. As far as we understand, they all charge the same – 2,000 baht for boat transfer both ways, and 600 baht per person per night including 3 meals a day. We stayed at Putawan raft house, they have newer huts that cost 1,000 baht per person. We stayed in one of the older huts and paid 600 per person. The meals were great, they always served a lot of food and bottled water with each meal. Additional drinks (such as pop and beer)/meals are extra. Putawan is the very first raft house, closest to the dam at about 30 minutes travel by boat. Service was great and we enjoyed our stay very much. Their site is http://www.putawanrafthouse.com. You can call them right from the pier and they will send a boat for you. Included in the boat transfer were night and morning safaris. They also helped us arrange minivan transfer back to Surattani.
    I hope this helps to anyone looking to just stay on the beautiful lake and not do the tour offered by tour companies. Please ask me questions if you have any. Enjoy!

#20 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 04:09

• Elegance999

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2012

Thank you all for the informative inputs.

Bananushka, I found your post particularly interesting since I would love to stay in the national park itself somewhere eco-friendly. I love the fact that Putawan has no electricity! I want to feel that I have minimal impact on the environment.This may sound ignorant, but what is the difference between staying outside of the park, for example in Our Jungle House/ Art Review and staying in accomodation within the park?

Can someone help? I like the ree houses and I don't think they have them in the park, but can someone give me insight into this?

Many thanks!

#21 Posted: 8/2/2012 - 08:22

• Elegance999

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2012

Another query regarding transport:

From Khao Sok:
    Has anyone travelled from Khao Sok National Park to Bangkok? what is the easiest and safest tour? Are there overnight trains/coaches and are they clean and safe?

To Khao Sok:
    Has anyone travelled directly from Phuket Chalong Pier to Khao Sok National Park?
    Can I ask you Bananushka is any of your group spoke Thai? How did you manage to get a ride from the dam area to the pier?

#22 Posted: 8/2/2012 - 09:01

• nnaghilu

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2012

Dear Bananushka,
    Hi.
    I have stayed in Phutawan just for some hours and not stay the night there.
    in Novomber I want to spend one night in the lake in rafthouse.
    Do you know which rafthouse is better (regarding their location, service, .....)
    If the people in puthawan could speak English then I call them to book rafthouse and boat?
    If the price for boat includes night and morning saffari???

Thank you for your time to reply.
    Nahid

#23 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 08:29

• jodymm

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2007

Khao Sok National Park

Ok....are we crazy attempting to go the KSNP in August 2013? Leeches Snakes Mud.....any comments from those who have been in the month of August? We will be down South and if we don't go there where else would be good to go at this time. We also have 8 days at East Railay.

#24 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 07:31

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Well August usually sees fine weather in the southern Gulf, so if this is an issue you could head to Phangan, Tao or Samui.

#25 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 03:07

• robinwhite

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

Khao Sok park is very big in size. It is the largest area of virgin forest in southern Thailand. In this park you can get guesthouse facility for living. Just go on to Khao Sok park's official website and book you room.

#26 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 10:17

• jenny2288

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2011

Hi

I'm heading out to Thailand in April and a group of us are looking to go to Khao Sok and stay in the Floating Bungalows on the Cheow Lan lake, we would like to do a 2 day- 1 night trip here, and would like to do the tubing and elephant trekking, what would be the bets way to go about this, (book everything individually or should we book a tour and if so is this something we can book in Bangkok a week before, or would that be leaving it to late? does anyone know of any good tours to go with or good floating bungalows, we like the real old looking ones :)

Thanks

#27 Posted: 29/1/2014 - 11:20

• JayEx

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2014

Hey if you need further information to the Khao Sok Lake area , and an overview about possible raft houses on the Cheow Lan Lake this page has some info Khao Sok Lake Floating Bungalows . It´s pretty up to date too.

Greetings Jay

#28 Posted: 8/7/2014 - 00:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Anyone been to Khao Sok national park? ... By bethbackpacks on 5 Jan 2009 1 4052 11 Jan 2009
Khao Yai National Park ... By steveandlesley on 9 Sep 2007 0 5073 9 Sep 2007
Khao Sok national park.... yes/no? ... By boleslav on 30 Aug 2009 4 4845 3 Sep 2009
Khao Sok National Park ... By helixusion on 24 Jul 2011 15 5476 2 Apr 2012
Khao Yai national park guides ... By FrenchArt on 6 May 2012 7 3329 25 May 2014
Where to stay in Khao Sok National Park ... By leslie on 24 Feb 2006 0 3493 24 Feb 2006
Khao Sok national park or kanchanaburi? ... By Dpullman on 12 May 2011 1 3034 13 May 2011
Khao Sok National Park- guesthouses ... By MrsLRC on 27 Nov 2012 6 4948 29 Nov 2012
Khao Yai national park in April ... By stever1000 on 9 Jan 2014 2 344 10 Jan 2014
Khao Sok National Park to Ao Phang-Nga ... By rocketgirl on 30 Oct 2007 1 4710 31 Oct 2007