Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Entering Thailand

  • joenel

    Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2007
    Posts: 1

    I am going to Thailand from Canada on january 15th for my first time. its my first time travelling out of North America/Mexico and plan on doing a few visa runs. after Thailand i am going down to Malaysia and Indo, followed by OZ. i am staying in OZ for a year on a holiday marker work visa.

    Does anyone know, if i book a one way ticket to Thailand, do i need to book a bus ticket leaving the country? or can i simply just book one when i get there? usually i know you have to have an exit ticket. If i do need one can anyone tell me where is the safest place to book the ticket?

    Any help anyone can give will help me.

    Thanks in advanced.

    #1 Posted: 17/10/2007 - 02:11

  • Advertisement

  • goo_stewart

    Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007
    Posts: 69

    Ok, by law (and the latest directives by Immigration) you should show a return ticket to qualify for the 30 day visa waiver scheme. There are signs up at the major points of entry. However, I have traveled in without any problems and a friendly smile from the immigration guy. It really does depend on his (or her) mood. I traveled through a land border a couple of months back, with a sign saying I must show a return
    ticket on the desk, but they gave me a 30 day stamp without any return ticket. I did have my bicycle with me which was kinda proof of onward travel!

    The most likely scenario is that you will be stopped boarding your aircraft without a visa. I know it seems ridiculous that they sell you a ticket then won't let you board, but thats what may happen. The airlines are far more fussy than Thai immigration.

    I don't know a place where you can buy a bus ticket outside the country, but you can book train tickets on-line. The other option is Asias many no-frills airlines.

    #2 Posted: 17/10/2007 - 06:00

  • ruxandra

    Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2006
    Posts: 9
    Total reviews: 2

    Hi there,

    I am also Canadian and arrived in Bangkok on a one way ticket on October 12th - a week ago or so. I did see the bright pink and yellow signs saying you need proof of onward travel, which I did not have, and still got a 30 day visa no problem. The guy behind me in line from Colorado, USA also arrived on a one way ticket with no proof of onward travel and received a VISA no problem. So you are taking your chances but I don't forsee there being any problems.
    Good luck, you'll have an amazing adventure!

    #3 Posted: 17/10/2007 - 14:28

  • CunningMcFar

    Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Posts: 163
    Total reviews: 45
    Places visited:
    At least 49

    you could get a 60-day tourist visa before you leave, from the Thai Consulate in Canada. This should also solve the problem of boarding your flight mentioned in #2 above.

    The stamp most folks get in their passports at airport immigration is not actually a visa, but a 30-day exemption stamp.

    #4 Posted: 18/10/2007 - 02:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee