Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Safety of low budget airlines - Thaliand

• chimpmunk

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2007

I need to book flights from Bangkok to Krabi and have found flights with Thai International, Air Asia and Bangkok Airways. As a bit of a nervous flyer and a bit of a worrier I'm trying to assess which is the safest option (please don't laugh - I know statistically the chances of anything happening are exceptionally slim!).

Having looked on the web, Air Aisa seems to be coming out on top for safety and flight times - but at the back of my mind I've still got this 'but they're a budget airline so are they that safe?' thing going on.

Can anyone help put my mind at rest about Air Asia (or Thai International and Bangkok Airlines) either through statistics or your own experiences? Cheers!

#1 Posted: 25/10/2007 - 17:09

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I regularly fly with AirAsia and have no real complaints, except that their flights between Jakarta and Bali are always, and I mean always, late.

#2 Posted: 26/10/2007 - 08:50

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Agree with Somtam. I fly regularly too, no problem. Low prices are result of good logistics, not safety decrease. So, fly with AirAsia is safe and comfortable enough :)

#3 Posted: 26/10/2007 - 12:11

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Chimpie!

I think Somtam and Vlad are right too. I've flown with Air Asia and had a good experience. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again. As you've noted, it is never 100%, and the recent crash in Phuket points out that accidents will happen, but the odds are very much in your favor.

Another thing to keep in mind is what alternatives are available to air travel. Since there is no train directly to Krabi, you'd likely wind up on a bus for at least part of the trip. I've seen too many smashed up buses in Thailand, particularly on the long overnight routes, to ever think the bus is a safer option than flying.

By the way, I've flown many times with Thai and Bangkok Airways as well. I'm aware of each of them having accidents, but even so wouldn't hesitate to fly with them either, since both are well-run.

I hope that helps. Have a good flight. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 27/10/2007 - 09:33

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi chimpmunk

My only complaint with Air Asia was that my virgin wheelie pack arrived in Chiang Mai from BKK with a shattered handle(electrical tape patchup job) Have to love those enthusiastic baggage handlers.

You'll be fine - travel well

Regards

Marian

PS At least you're not on a YAK 47 from Cuba to Mexico where the seat backs fall down, seat belts don't work and the whole plane fills up with steam on takeoff and landing...

#5 Posted: 28/10/2007 - 16:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thaliand, or Singapore>Malaysia>Thaliand? ... By BDog on 17 Feb 2011 9 1352 21 Feb 2011
Hong Kong to Vietnam budget airlines ... By markythesparky on 11 Mar 2009 3 4280 21 Mar 2009