Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Safety of low budget airlines - Thaliand

Posted by chimpmunk on 25/10/2007 at 17:09

I need to book flights from Bangkok to Krabi and have found flights with Thai International, Air Asia and Bangkok Airways. As a bit of a nervous flyer and a bit of a worrier I'm trying to assess which is the safest option (please don't laugh - I know statistically the chances of anything happening are exceptionally slim!).

Having looked on the web, Air Aisa seems to be coming out on top for safety and flight times - but at the back of my mind I've still got this 'but they're a budget airline so are they that safe?' thing going on.

Can anyone help put my mind at rest about Air Asia (or Thai International and Bangkok Airlines) either through statistics or your own experiences? Cheers!

#1 chimpmunk has been a member since 25/10/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/10/2007 at 08:50 admin

I regularly fly with AirAsia and have no real complaints, except that their flights between Jakarta and Bali are always, and I mean always, late.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by cybervlad on 26/10/2007 at 12:11

Agree with Somtam. I fly regularly too, no problem. Low prices are result of good logistics, not safety decrease. So, fly with AirAsia is safe and comfortable enough :)

#3 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Website 

Posted by exacto on 27/10/2007 at 09:33

Hey Chimpie!

I think Somtam and Vlad are right too. I've flown with Air Asia and had a good experience. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again. As you've noted, it is never 100%, and the recent crash in Phuket points out that accidents will happen, but the odds are very much in your favor.

Another thing to keep in mind is what alternatives are available to air travel. Since there is no train directly to Krabi, you'd likely wind up on a bus for at least part of the trip. I've seen too many smashed up buses in Thailand, particularly on the long overnight routes, to ever think the bus is a safer option than flying.

By the way, I've flown many times with Thai and Bangkok Airways as well. I'm aware of each of them having accidents, but even so wouldn't hesitate to fly with them either, since both are well-run.

I hope that helps. Have a good flight. Cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by marianwarren on 28/10/2007 at 16:41

Hi chimpmunk

My only complaint with Air Asia was that my virgin wheelie pack arrived in Chiang Mai from BKK with a shattered handle(electrical tape patchup job) Have to love those enthusiastic baggage handlers.

You'll be fine - travel well

Regards

Marian

PS At least you're not on a YAK 47 from Cuba to Mexico where the seat backs fall down, seat belts don't work and the whole plane fills up with steam on takeoff and landing...

#5 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.