Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel into southern Thailand

• marbob

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Hi, we are planning to travel by train from Malaysia into Thailand around mid January. The British government have a travel warning out for the southern provinces, saying that one shouldn't travel through them, even by train as there have been numerous attempts to sabotage the lines and more and more frequent terrorist attacks. Is it really like this or should this be taken with a pinch of salt? We were considering the Jungle line up the east of Malaysia?

#1 Posted: 6/11/2007 - 19:47

• Advertisement

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

OK firstly, any travel warning by your embassy is worth noting and adhering to. They are the experts and have all kinds of risk assessment matrices to asses the danger.

You will get personal stories on here of how it was no problem, how this and that happened.

I have traveled the same route by bicycle and train and have had no problems, however that is anecdotal evidence. There is a danger which is real. You won't be the target (at least not yet) as a tourist, but you may be caught in the cross fire.

If you do decide to go overland (plane would be better) then take the necessary cautions and tell people where you are going.

#2 Posted: 6/11/2007 - 20:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi marbob,

I've travelled extensively in the far south subsequent to the violence flaring and would say that if you are comfortable travelling in an area experiencing a substantial state of civil strife and are planning on travelling through the far south relatively quickly, then it is worth considering.

We do have a feature on travelling in Thailand's far south. It's a little dated now, but I'd say the advice remains valid.

If you're planning on coming up through the Kota Bharu to the crossing at Sungai Kolok, the train station on the Thai side is walking distance from the border and there are also minibuses (also within walking distance of the border) to Hat Yai (the southern transport hub) leaving regularly throughout the day.

Either of these will get you out of the area fairly rapidly. The bulk of the problems have been in Narathiwat province, but they've also been predominantly in rural areas. I'm not trying to understate the risk as there certainly is an element of risk, especially in Narathiwat province, but it's worth bearing in mind that foreign tourists are not being specifically targetted, and while the media (and the embassies) likes to paint this as terrorists at work -- it's a good dead more complicated and a lot has nothing whatsoever to do with terrorism.

Anyways, I'm slipping off topic here!

What's your alternative plan?

#3 Posted: 6/11/2007 - 21:10

• marbob

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Hi + thanks 4 replies:

Alternative plan is airtravel, but this is the difficult part - my other half has an extremely serious phobia of flying. We're having to drug her up in a big way to get her to Singapore, and we don't want to have to go through that more than once!!
    Our plan is as follows:
    We fly into Singapore 30/12 and will stay there just a few days. Then we have no concrete plans at all, although we have many ideas, but will be making our way through Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia(possibly Laos), Vietnam and then through China and taking the Trans-mongolian express from Beijing to Moscow hopefully on the 27/02.
    We understand that this is quite ambitious, and will have to do some long legs and miss out some parts, but it's probably the only chance we'll ever get to do something like this, so want to see a bit of everything.....

#4 Posted: 6/11/2007 - 21:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.