Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

best beaches on lanta for swimming

• dovers

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007

hi
    we are planning our 3rd visit to thailand in jan 2008, travelfish pointed us in the direction of ko libong last year and we were not dissapointed, so thanks to Tezza for that, i would reccomend Ko libong resort to any one who wants it quiet , friendly and kinda village style, this time round we are heading to yao yai and then want to move south to ko lanta, we have spent plenty time in the andaman area but never actually visited lanta before... anyway we've been looking at the beaches to the south of the island, mainly khlong nin, kantiang, khlong kak, and ao mai pai. I'm looking for advice and opinion on which of these are the best beaches for swimming, peace and quite and accomodation. We want to chill out so aren't too fussed about night life, I guess we fall into the flashpacker bracket, having said that we can do rustic, the swimming thing is tidal i guess, but which is the best beach for lack of rocks and easy access to that alluring turquoise expanse?
    if anyone came comment on the logistics of getting from yao yai to lanta - that would be a bonus..

thanks in advance
    Paul

#1 Posted: 7/11/2007 - 00:43

• Advertisement

• planetclare

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

We stayed at Ao Mai Pai, which supposedly isn't great for swimming, but there is a small section at the south end of the beach that is fine for swimming in both high and low tide--and the scenery there is absolutely gorgeous. Driving past Kantiang, it looked like there were calmer waters and fewer rocks, but the scenery didn't seem quite as pretty. The only downside of Ao Mai Pai is that once you're there, you're pretty much stuck there--the only way to get out is to take the twice-daily "taxi" for 150 baht RT offered by both of the resorts there. However, if your goal is to get away from the rest of the world and chill in paradise for a few days, it's pretty much perfect.

Hope this helps--happy planning!

Clare

#2 Posted: 11/11/2007 - 03:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Beaches Ko Lanta vs Phi Phi ... By MrMidrange on 9 Nov 2006 1 1376 9 Nov 2006