Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Lampang Elephant Conservation Centre

• rocketgirl

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2007

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Chiang Mai to Lampang Elephant Centre - also is this easy to do? I'm trying to decide whether to stay in Lampang or Chiang Mai for the night. Im travelling with someone completely uninterested in elephants, so was thinking that Chiang Mai might be more interesting for her for the day, while I head off to this centre. I LOVE elephants, but cant afford a mahoot course, so thought visiting this centre would be the next best thing. I've also read about Elephant Nature Resort, but it may be a bit out of my price range (2500 baht per day!!). I'm travelling on a 600 baht a day budget.

#1 Posted: 8/11/2007 - 09:05

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's a good few hours from Chiang Mai to Lampang -- maybe 2.5 hours. But the Centre is outside Lampang, so you need to jump off the bus at the entrance and wander in. I can't remember how far in off the main road it is sorry. Lampang is a nice laid back little town -- perhaps one night there and visit the Centre on a day trip, then move on to Chiang Mai the next?

How can someone be totally uninterested in elephants!

#2 Posted: 8/11/2007 - 09:23

• murwill16

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2005

Instructions were on the Elephant Conservation Centre (ECC) website and without checking probably still are. In February this year travel time Chiang Mai bus station to entrance to ECC was about 1 hour. We caught a bus at 0715, not 0700 as we had been advised was the departure time but still got us there in plenty of time for Mahout course start. Just asked the bus driver to let us off at the ECC, kept an eye out for the sign just in case. "Reception" is about 250m from main road, then a shuttle van took us all to the centre proper. We are "senior citizens" but still enjoyed the one day course, and now have skills that are in great demand in regional Australia. Although as you may be aware garlic keeps the elephants away and we eat garlic so we don't get to practice our skills. On our course there were a couple of partners there under sufference as the other half of the relationship was keen on elephants, their attitude changed during the day and everyone had a great day and considered it very worthwhile. We got a lift back to Chiang Mai by car with a couple who had rented a car for a few days, however as the other option the ECC assured us that it would deposit us back at the main road and we would not have long to wait for a bus back.

#3 Posted: 9/11/2007 - 13:31

• erinj

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2007

I agree, how could someone not be interested in elephants???

Apart from that I have no help sorry- we're going to the Elephant Reserve.

#4 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 08:31

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Rocketgirl hi, if time is an issue i can totally recommend the elephant stay at ayutthya 2 hrs nth of bangkok. there you can stay 1-30 days and all sorts of interaction feeding,riding kraal life if you or friend desire well worth a look at conservation of old&young elephants.had a great time

#5 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 09:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Elephant traing centre Lampang ... By marianwarren on 5 Jul 2006 1 2524 5 Jul 2006
Have You Volunteered at the Lao Elephant Conservation Centre at Sayaboury? ... By 1411 on 20 Nov 2011 3 2590 13 Oct 2012