Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Transport rates: taxi and tuk-tuk

• Harry05

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2007

Are there more or less typical rates for transport by taxi and tuk-tuk? Per kilometer or units of time?

Thanx answering.

Harry

#1 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 03:53

• Advertisement

• breconion

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2007

Yes taxi have rates per distance.
    Starts at 35 Baht then in steps while in Bangkok.
    In some taxi you will find a rate card displayed in the back of the taxi, there is also a card displaying the fixed prices to destinations outside Bangkok.

Tuk Tuk start at high prices and normally more expensive than taxi depends on your bargaining skills. There is no defined fare.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 05:03

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Breconion is spot on. That flag fall of 35 baht in Bangkok typically gets you the first 2 km distance in Bangkok. However, if you are stuck in traffic, you'll see the meter creep up for every minute or so the wheels are not moving. The trick to getting a good taxi fare is to make sure that the driver is using the meter. If they refuse, get out and take another taxi.

I don't know how others feel about this, but I always make it a point to leave at least a small tip with a taxi driver who has used the meter. They work very long hours under difficult circumstances and don't make all that much money for their trouble.

Outside of Bangkok, I haven't noticed taxis even having meters, despite the "meter taxi" sign on top of the vehicle. Without a meter taxi rides can get pretty pricey, even by tourist standards.

I've almost given up taking tuk tuks. Like Breconion says, there is no set rate and it is hard to get a fare that even comes close to a metered taxi. I guess I give up the romance of the tuk tuk for the comfort and safety of a taxi. At least in Bangkok. They are a bit cheaper and easier to navigate in Chiang Mai.

#3 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 06:01

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Harry agree totally with the above posts. If in bangkok use a meter taxi and round up the fare.Using a tuk is great for small distances but beware of prices.Was offered price of 4 times the price to get from suan lum night market at lumpini only to find a great price 100mts away then rounded the fare up for his fairness..
    good luck

#4 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 09:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Transport rates: taxi, shared taxi and tuk-tuk? ... By Harry05 on 24 Nov 2007 0 1820 24 Nov 2007
Transport rates: taxi, shared taxi and tuk-tuk ... By Harry05 on 24 Nov 2007 4 2824 22 Jan 2008
New official taxi rates in Phuket ... By Xircal on 28 Feb 2013 17 5195 5 Mar 2013