Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Dress code in Thailand/Cambodia temples/public places

• erinj

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2007

I'm going to Thailand (Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Ao Nang) and Cambodia (Phnom Penh and Siem Reap/Angkor Wat).

I was planning on packing a couple of 3/4 pants and a couple of pairs of shorts (relatively short- mid thigh length) to wear. Will this be okay, or will I need to pack long pants? A friend said that at the temples if you don't have long pants they will lend you tie on pants to wear. Is this right?

Will wearing short offend anyone? I want to not be too hot, but would hate to offend the Thai or Cambodian people.

#1 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 08:19

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi erin,if possible I think light long cotton pants with light top is the way to go.Avoid shorts, singlets and the like and you will be right. Any sitting and pointing feet at any buddha statue can cause offence. This also goes on any boat you might travel on sitting on the prow with feet pointing to the skippers buddha.
    Hope this helps
    regards

#2 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 08:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
dress code ... By calitraveler on 25 Jul 2006 5 2818 25 Jul 2006
Angkor Wat Dress Code? ... By grak88 on 16 Feb 2012 21 18703 21 May 2012
Ho Chi Minh mausoleum Dress Code ... By gatoguts on 26 Mar 2014 2 1213 28 Mar 2014