Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Dress code in Thailand/Cambodia temples/public places

Posted by erinj on 19/11/2007 at 08:19

I'm going to Thailand (Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Ao Nang) and Cambodia (Phnom Penh and Siem Reap/Angkor Wat).

I was planning on packing a couple of 3/4 pants and a couple of pairs of shorts (relatively short- mid thigh length) to wear. Will this be okay, or will I need to pack long pants? A friend said that at the temples if you don't have long pants they will lend you tie on pants to wear. Is this right?

Will wearing short offend anyone? I want to not be too hot, but would hate to offend the Thai or Cambodian people.

#1 erinj has been a member since 3/8/2007. Posts: 12

Posted by swag on 19/11/2007 at 08:56

Hi erin,if possible I think light long cotton pants with light top is the way to go.Avoid shorts, singlets and the like and you will be right. Any sitting and pointing feet at any buddha statue can cause offence. This also goes on any boat you might travel on sitting on the prow with feet pointing to the skippers buddha.
Hope this helps
regards

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.