Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

south Lanta or Ngai?

• shoreliner

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2007

Have only 8 short nights in Thailand to fit in one andaman island and khao sok national park (greedy, I know, but…). After checking things out a little my thought for the island where either a south lanta beach (mai pai or khlong jaak) or koh nagi or maybe even koh kradan. The only “problem” is the distance between khao sok and any of these islands. I wouldn’t want to “waste” a whole precious day on the road between them and to sleep in krabi or trang town. Lanta seems slightly closer to khaosok then either the trang islands, but since it’s one of the south islands I’m interested in, that might not be much of a difference. My questions is about the boats to the trang islands or the minibus from krabi to lanta – will it possible to make it to one of these islands on the same day as leaving khaosok? that is, when is the last boat to ngai or kradan and when is the last bus from krabi to lanta? I asked the resorts on the islands but no reply yet.

Or would it be better to do it the other way (island first and khao sok after)?

Also, what would be the best route between khao sok and either islands? Through surat thani or through the Andaman side (through takua pa)? is it possible to "cut in the middle" from Phanom to thep Put (road 415) and down to krabi or trang (yes, i have my maps with me) if not having your own transport?

Coming and leaving from BKK, forgot to mention. Flying into (or out of, if doing it the other way) surat thani and either krabi or trang. Arriving BKK early on a Monday and leaving late on a Tuesday.

phew, many questions. any suggestion really greatly appreciated. bless you.

PS. two more -
    is there a boat between south lanta and ngai? i thought i saw it somewhere but cannot find now. is it extremely expensive if no other passangers?
    and is there a boat between ngai and kradan?
    Done

#1 Posted: 20/11/2007 - 20:36

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For Lanta you're best to go Khao Sok to Krabi as your hub. If you're going out to Ko Ngai/Kradan etc, then Trang is the better hub.

Timewise you're looking at the best part of a day travelling, though is you're in a rush look into tourist minibus services from Khao Sok which may coordinate better with ferries than the normal bus services.

You could do something like fly to Trang, get your island fix then north via Krabi to Khao Sok, then overnight bus to Bangkok.

For inter-island boat timetables, check out this site I just stumbled across:

Tigerline Travel

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 21/11/2007 - 10:04

• shoreliner

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2007

it does, thank you.

another question - i saw that there is a 120baht van from talat kaset 2 in surat thani to khao sok every two hours, but the info might not be updated. does such a van still exist at these frequencies?

If not, what are the other options to get from surat thani (surat thani airport actually) to khao sok? preferably cheaper and publicer options :)
    thank you

#3 Posted: 21/11/2007 - 11:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.