Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chang Mai-Libra Guesthouse? Good cookery Course?

Posted by shrn62 on 23/11/2007 at 02:16

Hey there,

spending 6 days in Chang Mai..possibly 3 day trek adn 2 day cookery course..the thai cookery school looks good but a bit expensive-anyone any exp or recommendations for good budget course? also heard the Libra Guesthouse is nice..shoudl we book for the nite before the trek and organise the trek from there or book it before we go?

any help greatly appreciated! ;)

#1 shrn62 has been a member since 17/11/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by EmjayReet on 26/11/2007 at 07:47

We absolutely loved A Lot of Thai cooking course. It was 800 baht per day and that included 6 dishes, a trip to the local market halfway through the day, transfers to/from our guesthouse and a great little cookbook! www.alotofthai.com

You can see the fun we had at our blogs!

Reet x

#2 EmjayReet has been a member since 4/7/2006. Location: Australia. Posts: 156
 Website 

Posted by shrn62 on 26/11/2007 at 20:56

Thanks a mill Reet!

really handy - all booked up and looking forward to it...the blog site looks really good and handy - might open me up one of those 2! enjoy the travels,
S

#3 shrn62 has been a member since 17/11/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by EmjayReet on 27/11/2007 at 05:04

No problems. If you do let me know so I can subscribe! I would also recommend CM Blue House for accommodation. We stayed there last time and are heading back there in February - great place and cheap!

#4 EmjayReet has been a member since 4/7/2006. Location: Australia. Posts: 156
 Website 

Posted by shrn62 on 27/11/2007 at 15:27

Cool beans,

Actually booked into the Libra Guesthouse? good reviews on tripadvisor...any hints for the trek? Doing a 3 day...worth including the elephant trekking aand rafting or should we do it seperately? night market good? nice restaurants? You sound like you know ur stuff!!

#5 shrn62 has been a member since 17/11/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by Steffitom on 29/11/2007 at 04:15

Hi,

we´ve stayed in Chiang Mai this year in march. The guesthouse we´ve booked was Julies guesthouse. One of the nicest guesthouses i´ve ever saw in thailand. It´s so cozy and it´s very nice for chilling.

We´ve got the tipp from them to make an cookery course with the Pad Thai Cookery School. And it was a very good descion. It was an happening with our teacher Gnochi and we´ve learned a lot about the Thai kitchen.
You could choose from many thing that you can cook in the course. But every time first step is the same. They visit with you the market and show you every vegetables and so on which a typic for Thailand.
Than the buy with you the things which you will need for the course.

It was a very funny day.

Steffi

#6 Steffitom has been a member since 29/11/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by EmjayReet on 29/11/2007 at 05:26

I loved Chiang Mai. We didnt explore the restaurants too much as my son was sick for 2-3 days of our stay, and we missed out on trekking ... I wasnt keen to do the trekking though as I couldnt find one that didnt do elephant riding. Having spent a day at the Elephant Nature Park there was no way I was riding an elephant... I will be doing a trek in Laos this time around to make up for it!!

The night markets are great... get there early for first customer bargains.. its bad luck for them to not sell to their first customer so they will slash the price again and again and again .... we got some amazing bargains!!

Reet xx

#7 EmjayReet has been a member since 4/7/2006. Location: Australia. Posts: 156
 Website 

Posted by shrn62 on 29/11/2007 at 15:21

Handy tips!

Thanks lads...Early bird gets the worm'n all!! Happy travels;)

#8 shrn62 has been a member since 17/11/2007. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.