Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chang Mai-Libra Guesthouse? Good cookery Course?

• shrn62

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2007

Hey there,

spending 6 days in Chang Mai..possibly 3 day trek adn 2 day cookery course..the thai cookery school looks good but a bit expensive-anyone any exp or recommendations for good budget course? also heard the Libra Guesthouse is nice..shoudl we book for the nite before the trek and organise the trek from there or book it before we go?

any help greatly appreciated! ;)

#1 Posted: 23/11/2007 - 02:16

• Advertisement

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

We absolutely loved A Lot of Thai cooking course. It was 800 baht per day and that included 6 dishes, a trip to the local market halfway through the day, transfers to/from our guesthouse and a great little cookbook! www.alotofthai.com

You can see the fun we had at our blogs!

Reet x

#2 Posted: 26/11/2007 - 07:47

• shrn62

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2007

Thanks a mill Reet!

really handy - all booked up and looking forward to it...the blog site looks really good and handy - might open me up one of those 2! enjoy the travels,
    S

#3 Posted: 26/11/2007 - 20:56

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia

No problems. If you do let me know so I can subscribe! I would also recommend CM Blue House for accommodation. We stayed there last time and are heading back there in February - great place and cheap!

#4 Posted: 27/11/2007 - 05:04

• shrn62

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2007

Cool beans,

Actually booked into the Libra Guesthouse? good reviews on tripadvisor...any hints for the trek? Doing a 3 day...worth including the elephant trekking aand rafting or should we do it seperately? night market good? nice restaurants? You sound like you know ur stuff!!

#5 Posted: 27/11/2007 - 15:27

• Steffitom

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2007

Hi,

we´ve stayed in Chiang Mai this year in march. The guesthouse we´ve booked was Julies guesthouse. One of the nicest guesthouses i´ve ever saw in thailand. It´s so cozy and it´s very nice for chilling.

We´ve got the tipp from them to make an cookery course with the Pad Thai Cookery School. And it was a very good descion. It was an happening with our teacher Gnochi and we´ve learned a lot about the Thai kitchen.
    You could choose from many thing that you can cook in the course. But every time first step is the same. They visit with you the market and show you every vegetables and so on which a typic for Thailand.
    Than the buy with you the things which you will need for the course.

It was a very funny day.

Steffi

#6 Posted: 29/11/2007 - 04:15

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia

I loved Chiang Mai. We didnt explore the restaurants too much as my son was sick for 2-3 days of our stay, and we missed out on trekking ... I wasnt keen to do the trekking though as I couldnt find one that didnt do elephant riding. Having spent a day at the Elephant Nature Park there was no way I was riding an elephant... I will be doing a trek in Laos this time around to make up for it!!

The night markets are great... get there early for first customer bargains.. its bad luck for them to not sell to their first customer so they will slash the price again and again and again .... we got some amazing bargains!!

Reet xx

#7 Posted: 29/11/2007 - 05:26

• shrn62

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2007

Handy tips!

Thanks lads...Early bird gets the worm'n all!! Happy travels;)

#8 Posted: 29/11/2007 - 15:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.