• creativeguy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 85

Hello,
    I've been checking to make a reservation for the Wild Orchid Villa and their web site appears to have vanished. Does anyone know if they are still there? In the meantime, I'm looking for other accommodation in that general area near the river and would welcome any suggestions. I'll be there in early January. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 26/11/2007 - 11:43

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you are talking about the place in Soi Chana Songkhram, near Thanon Phra Athit (close to the river and water taxi) then, yes, it is still there unless something drastic has happened.

I stayed there in late January, and only because my girlfriend was leaving the next day. I got a suite (around 900B) with a very nice bathroom, shower, balcony, a/c, and the most comfortable bed I've encountered in the country. Employees weren't particularly friendly (actually, they were very unfriendly). Restaurant was overpriced. It's a bit of a scene, but not a bad one. It's just not my scene.

I prefer the places in the next alleyway off Thanon Phra Athit, just a little north. Shared bathrooms, but clean, quiet rooms in old teak homes, and very little noise. Green House, Apple II, and a couple others. A fraction of the price, too. These places are some of the old guard of area guest houses. They are anything but flashy, but they are well run by adults, not disconsolate teenagers who can't peel their eyes from their cel phones.

#2 Posted: 28/11/2007 - 20:43

• creativeguy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2006
    Location Earth
    Places visited:
    At least 85

Thanks! Are you talking about the area down toward the old Fort? I'll be there for a couple days after Vietnam and Cambodia before flying home.

I'll see if I can find them through here or google them.

Cheers!

#3 Posted: 29/11/2007 - 11:42

• traveller

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2007

Yes. Wild orchid is still there. Just stayed there on the 27th Nov. Beds are ok and the restaurant/bar below is good. prices are 550-600 baht for twin/double with aircond+hot shower. For other options, try stayin in Mangoo Lagoon, a bit pricier but great place. If not can try out Bella Bella guest house or Four Sons Village (same price range). All are located in the same area.

#4 Posted: 29/11/2007 - 14:04

• creativeguy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2006
    Location Earth
    Places visited:
    At least 85

Thanks traveller,

I'll check them out. Packing now to leave in two days and am excited. Finally finished with business and now free to play with travel details.

Cheers!

#5 Posted: 1/12/2007 - 23:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Wild Orchid Hostel ... By kmoco7 on 11 May 2006 1 1805 12 May 2006