Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First Time Visitor Flying in on the 3rd of December

• tulles22

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2007

hey all, I'm a 23 yearold Canadian guy straight out of University who's making his first trip to Thailand. I fly into Bangkok December 3rd, and have 5weeks to kill before I start a TEFL/TESOL course in Phuket. This site has provided tons of great information about backpacking and some of the locations to check out, I just have two questions that I would love some feedback on.....1) should I bring my laptop, or will it be more of a hassel then an asset....2)is there any travel insurance recommended other then whats been advertised on this site (its only good for 3months and i'm planning on spending longer seeing the world) I appreciate any responses, and if theres any cool chilled people that are looking for a good guy to party with and see some the country with fire a message, I'm always down with meeting new people and having a good time....cheers all, Tulles

#1 Posted: 28/11/2007 - 11:02

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Tulles,

Glad to hear you've found the site helpful!

1) Why are you bringing a laptop? If it's for work, then yeah, why not, but if it's primarily for writing a blog, emailing or looking at your pics, then there's stacks of internet cafes pretty much everywhere in Thailand, so the benefit of lugging a few kilos of plastic and circuit-board drops in value pretty quickly.

2) Travel insurance - We recommend World Nomads and have used them ourselves many times without complaint. Their maximum policy stretches to six months and it's easy to extend once you're overseas. If that's still not suitable for your needs, take a look at our travel insurance page, which lists some other providers, though none are Canadian specific.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 28/11/2007 - 11:39

• tulles22

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2007

all right cool, thanks for the responses, I had just read a few testimonials on here from people who brought their laptops with them....thanks again for the responses

#3 Posted: 28/11/2007 - 12:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
first time gay visitor ... By adventure87 on 24 Jun 2011 10 2660 30 May 2013
Three weeks in July. Help a first time visitor? ... By shua73 on 30 May 2014 3 488 2 Jun 2014
First Time Visitor - advice needed ... By Sweetdee on 31 Aug 2011 4 1587 7 Sep 2011
SE Asia - 8 Week Itinerary (First Time Visitor) ... By travelingalpaca on 3 Apr 2013 1 1422 3 Apr 2013