Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Kanchanaburi OR Hoi An???

• kelpeta

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2007

Hi

I have an option of extending my time in Thailand by a day or two, or extending my time in Vietnam. Any suggestions on which place is nicer / more interesting between Kanchanaburi (thailand) OR Hoi An (Vietnam)??

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/11/2007 - 00:25

• Advertisement

• michien

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2007

Hoi An is a beautiful town, I would recommend there. Interesting town on the river with a great beach close by. There is also some good short excursions such as Cham Island, Marble Mountain if you have the time.

#2 Posted: 30/11/2007 - 09:33

• sereneyeap

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2007

I say definitely Kanchanaburi. Hoi An is beautiful, but lacks anything real or with any grit for an interesyed traveller. Its merely a colourful Asian city like Malacca, Chinatown in Singapore, Georgetown in Penang, with inflated Western prices in cafes serving pinot grigios. I found it lke a tourist trap.

Kanchanaburi on the other hand is laid back, with an amazing night market selling local delights, historical sights and the lovely river. Rent a moped and explore, I did that for about a week using Kanchanaburi as a base!

#3 Posted: 1/12/2007 - 06:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd also lean towards Kanchanaburi -- so much to do there.

#4 Posted: 1/12/2007 - 13:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.