Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi: recommendations

• sopherie

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2007

Hi there,

I just arrived in Krabi and am a bit overwhelmed by what to do and whether I should stay here or in another location (want to see some of the national parks, but also island hopping, kayaking, snorkelling, climbing and general beach laziness...)

It seems very quiet and as i'm on my own would be great to be somewhere where I can meet other travellers, but not so much into meeting mad drunken ones (so i guess Phuket is out...?) also, accomodation here is great value and wondering if I can find the same elsewhere? (staying at the Krabi River Hotel and its great value by the way)

Can someone recommend a tour company to go Kayaking and snorkelling with, or is it better to go it alone? Where can you recommend i visit in the area? I'm totally confused by what to do, and the guidebooks aren't much help.... so would really appreciate any info! :)

thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 13/12/2007 - 22:47

• Advertisement

• raffaela

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2007

i was in Krabi area last week, these are the places i most liked:

- Railey West Beach , the beaches (also Ton Sai) are stunning!
    there should be a place called Golf Club hotel apparently not expensive just a few meters from the beach, if you find it tell me what it's like. i don't kow about the kayaks but snorkelling is average, no corals here.

- Relax Beach Resort and Viking Resort on Ko Phi Phi Island
    from this last one you can hire snorkelling gear and kayaks, you can find many good spots to go on your own or with other travellers, these two places were both full of young travellers. Maya Bay on Ko Phi Phi Ley, despite the boats and tourists, it's a GREAT place for snorkelling and so Long Beach and many other places on Ko Phi Phi, you have corals meters from the beaches.

have fun : )

#2 Posted: 14/12/2007 - 04:40

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Avoid Rai Ley in my opinion, just stop off at Ton Sai Beach which is along the way between Ao Nang and Rai Ley. A very beautiful beach with limestone cliffs surrounding it. Good for climbing and also snorkelling. I rented out a sea kayak for about 200B per day and thoroughly enjoyed that. On the beachfront the accommodation is obviously more expensive so walk back a wee bit and you'll find budget accommodation.

As for drunken foreigners they are everywhere so you'll be lucky to avoid them. Ton Sai is quiet though, apart from one large bar at the far end of the beach but that is easily avoided due to it's location.

#3 Posted: 18/12/2007 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Krabi rooms on the cheap in peak season - recommendations ... By violetfriday on 24 Aug 2012 3 1670 24 Aug 2012