Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Pattaya "Tourist Information" - Beware

• celianz

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2007
    Total reviews: 9

Beware as you get off the Bangkok to Pattaya bus at Pattaya station, there are lovely, helpful official looking reps of "Pattaya Tourist Information". Uniforms, badges etc. This is in fact a private company and not part of the Tourism Authority, they ahve everything (hotels, tranfers, tours) for "their company". We were naive and tired and thought they were official, and ended up 2 kms away and paying 800B. Not too bad motel, have seen worse, but not good area. Just beware as they wont call anything other than their hotels etc.

#1 Posted: 22/12/2007 - 18:48

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Same goes for all destinations really. (Chiang mai, Phuket, Samui etc..) We did use someone similer in samui the first time we went. All 8 of us got in A MINI Van and got taken to bungalows in Cheweng, we got out, looked and said 'take us to see another please'. So we went on to another one. This one was great and we (all of us at various times) have been back there a few times scince. So that tured out great.

BUT,

Again, same thing happened in Phuket to my wife and I. I usally stear well clear of touts from experience but as we arrived in phuket late at night for the first time and with no accommedation I decided to use a travel agent right at the bus station (MISTAKE) I looked thru their books of hotels and bungalows and decided to just go with one out of my lonely planet guide. (These books have got me around asai) So they said that their driver would take us instead of a taxi. Basically, the driver took us straight to a hotel, one they get commission from of course and i was aware of all of this and i told him NOT to drive up to the hotel. He pulled up, got out and opened my door for me. I REFUSED to get out! and i did not, telling him I want a different hotel from my book. He got in a right mood and slammed the door, got back in the car and drove us to the nearest hotel - which turned out to be a nice hotel, 5 star and 8 times our budget!

So, we told the hotel that we had been dropped off here by the driver and had no room and couldn't afford to stay and that we needed a lift. They got thier mini van to take us to the Bungalows we wanted to go to (in the lonely planet guide book). Thing is, it was after the Tsunami and the bungalows were no longer there! :(

He offered to take us to another hotel and we had little choice so off we went. He was driving frantically becuase he obviously had to get back to his hotel-he was working- and we looked at a couple of hotels but they were full. The last place had room so he got our bags and tried to charge us somthing like 500 bhat. I think i gave him about 300 actually.

Good for experience but a pain in the ass at 12:00 at night! lol

#2 Posted: 23/12/2007 - 04:19

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Celianz
    Cant ever remember seeing these touts at the bus station before .

Curious , what was the name of the place they took you to ?

#3 Posted: 23/12/2007 - 21:31

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

You have to watch out for the "Official Representatives" that meet you at the Hualampong Railway Station too!

They try to get you going in when you want to buy tickets and try to get the arriving passengers on the way out for transportation and hotels!

#4 Posted: 30/12/2007 - 11:35

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I can't remember any touts at the Pattaya bus station (North Pattaya Road) either! Must be something new! Just like in Bangkok at the airport - ignore them!

#5 Posted: 30/12/2007 - 11:38

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

beware of pattaya - blackpool with hookers :/

#6 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 03:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"beware of pattaya - blackpool with hookers :/"

I don't suppose it has occurred to you that that is why so many people go there...

#7 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 01:57

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

yes MADMAC ive been there myself :D

i may be mistaken but i believe it is actually the 'bargirl' capital of the world :P

3 days was long enough for me though,was'nt quite my cup of tea,i have no problem with the 'nightlife' its just the busyness of the place (packed full of mao farang!)and the poor beach that i didnt like.

:)

#8 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 02:35

• Danlo

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

Yes its the sex capitol of the world but only if your looking for that, there is much more to Pattaya than that, there are 26 golf courses withing an hour of Pattaya with an average price for a round with caddie of 1000baht, 20 quid, there are many trips and days out and Jomtien is a much nicer beach but Pattaya beach is ok, sand sea and great climate, its not dirty, the only thing maybe the hawkers selling fruit, newspapers etc but they are handy too.

#9 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 09:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I like Pattaya because it draws all the guys who want to get drunk and chase Thai women into one, central location. Thus they don't end up in my province.

#10 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 11:57

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I quite like Pattaya for 3 days or so-you've just got to accept it for what it is.It's also cheaper than a lot of other tourist destinations.And like MADMAC says,while there's heaps of package tourists there,they're not anywhere else in Thailand.

#11 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 15:28

• Danlo

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

Yes it does attract guys who want to drink everyday & chase Thai girls, also guys who want to have a few rounds of Golf, relax on the beach, do some shopping, swimming in a great climate, go diving, all the water sports, go to the many Gyms and get some big muscles, train for Thai boxing, play tennis, deal in Art at the many galleries, & of course chase Thai girls.....

#12 Posted: 9/3/2010 - 01:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Danlo
    Indeed.

#13 Posted: 9/3/2010 - 09:09

• Danlo

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

Yes well you can slob around with some of the low lifes, you see them where ever you travel as well as in your own town or City where you come from but do not judge Pattaya by its cover.
    I have a house here now that would cost an absolute fortune in the UK and to say nothing of the climate here, you know what the weather is going to be like every day guaranteed.
    I can go to the beach of which there are some nice areas in Pattaya where I can be almost on my own, I can play some of the superb Golf courses around Pattaya with a caddie for a fraction of the price of the UK.
    I can eat a wide variety of meals for about the price of a beer in the UK, and so it goes on and on all out of sight of the busy bar areas so no hassle.

#14 Posted: 9/3/2010 - 23:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Actually I am not juding anyone at all. What consenting adults do with each other is completely their buisiness. But let's be honest. If Thailand is the Mecca of whoring, then Pattaya is the Kaba. It is definitely drawing the western sex tourist (not exclusively of course). I mean, if I were a sex tourist that's where I'd go. That's not to say that, as you pointed out, it has nothing else to offer. Naturally BKK is right up there as well - but the city is so large that the dilution process is more pronounced.

#15 Posted: 10/3/2010 - 09:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Pattaya Travellers: Beware of Maneerat Transport & Travel (on Soi Post Office) ... By hunghung on 15 Apr 2008 19 4381 12 May 2010