Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Trying to get to From Bangkok to Ko Samui

• SNG88

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2007

Hi all,

I am going to be in Thailand over Christmas and New year and have pre-booked my hotels but left the flights till last minute.

I'm trying to get from Bangkok to Ko Samui 29th Dec. Ive been on loads of sites this morning i.e. Air Asia, Bangkok Airways and they all say fully booked!!!

What are my chances of just turning up at the airport and waiting for a cancellation??? Not sure i can face a 10hr train. I'm getting desperate so even considering hiring a car...what do you think. Any other ideas...please help!

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 22/12/2007 - 21:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well, Bkk Airways has at least a dozen flights a day to Samui, so they'd be your best bet for a cancellation, but you could end up spending all day at the airport, when you could be on a bus heading south... I think you'll find it tricky getting a train reservation as well unless you're happy to do it third class...

I'd be heading to the bus station -- not the airport, nor the train station.

Hey, at least you've got your bed sorted out ;-)

#2 Posted: 22/12/2007 - 22:37

• cljo

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2007

Hello
    I have read about Your problem. My sugestion is that You book a flight to Surat Thani with Thai Airways. There is two sides of a coin, a good one and a bad one. The good one, is that You have maid about 90% of the distans between Bangkok and Koh Samui, another is that a ticket to Surat Thani compare with a ticket to Koh Samui should be much cheaper. The bad side of the coin is, when You arrive to Surat Thani, You are not at Koh Samui island. But close. From Surat Thani airport You have to manage Your self to find further transport to express-boat jetty or to the ferry jetty.
    I am sure that You can do this. I have done this trip my self once.

cljo

#3 Posted: 26/12/2007 - 04:14

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Good advice cljo. That is certainly what I would do. There is a desk at Surat Thani airport that will arrange you transfer to Samui. I can't remember the name of the company but it is in the corner near to the domestic arrivals lounge.

From there it will take you half an hour to get to Surat, and hour to get to Don Sak and then another hour on the ferry to Samui.

#4 Posted: 26/12/2007 - 14:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.