Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

metro/bus from new airport to old airport/rangsit

• zachmoore

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2007

We are flying in late evening; 10ish on korean air (I don't remember exact time as I am writing this) and would like to catch the 11 o'clock train for chiang mai, train 51; is there any chance of making that work; any suggestions on how to make this work or even if it's possible. Thanks

Zach.

#1 Posted: 26/12/2007 - 10:24

• Advertisement

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Not possible I'm afraid. I have a feeling that you'll still be in the immigration queue at 11:00 and allowing for up to an hour on the bus (or taxi) to Hualumphong you'll get there a about midnight. I suggest that you get a good nights sleep and either take a day train up to Chiang Mai or have a look around Bkk first and then take a night train.

#2 Posted: 26/12/2007 - 13:58

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Zach, sorry to say, but I concur with #2 - the only way you could make that work would be to parachute out of the plane to land at Hualamphong, but that's not going to work 'cause the flightpath doesn't run over the station unfortunately ;-)

#3 Posted: 26/12/2007 - 18:35

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

Yeah, echo above comments, sounds impossible I'm afraid. The new airport is fairly efficient, but not that efficient.

#4 Posted: 28/12/2007 - 11:58

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I hope you are planning on seeing Bangkok, it is worth a look or two. Chose a hotel near the Skytrain so you can use that transportation to get around the city quick and easy.

If you have reservations in Chiang Mai see if you can move them up a day or two and check out the big city!

Now is a good time to check your itinerary and see if your return trip to Bangkok has the same bad timing! Figure on being at the airport at least a bare minimum of 2 hours prior to your departure home. I prefer a little more time myself!

Good luck.

#5 Posted: 30/12/2007 - 05:51

• zachmoore

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2007

Hey, thanks for the replies - that's kind of what I figured but thought I'd give it a shot. We plan on doing bangkok at the end of our trip. We want to get going north as fast as we can as we've only got 4 weeks to do the region - are there cheap guesthouses near Hualamphong or is it possible to spend the night in the trainstation or airport so we can catch that early morning train north - we really don't want to deal with going into the city if we can help it. Thanks again for the replies.

Zach.

#6 Posted: 4/1/2008 - 09:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phuket Airport to Krabi Airport ... By radd on 7 May 2008 1 7507 7 May 2008
bangkok airport to Don Meung airport ... By redsquirrel on 7 Sep 2012 0 1489 7 Sep 2012
Hoi An to Danang Airport in the early airport ... By arenalk on 11 Jun 2013 3 1822 12 Jun 2013
Distance from old airport to new airport ... By mrsT on 29 Sep 2006 2 1418 5 Oct 2006