Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Lipe from Malaysian

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

Sorry, hit enter too quickly without entering text in message, and don't see an edit button anywhere --

I meant to say:

I intend to get on the Langkawi Express from Kuala Lumpur to Hat Yai, get a minibus to Pakbara pier, then catch the 1pm ferry to Koh Lipe.

According to malaysian railways' website, the train is supposed to get to Hat Yai at 1120h. This might leave me with too little time to travel to Pakbara, and I would hate to miss that last boat.

Does anyone know anything about minibus departures from Hat Yai railway station to Pakbara, how frequently they run (hourly; but what time?) and how much a private taxi to the pier might run?

Also: the malaysian railways website states arrival time as 1120, but I was wondering if that possibly is Malaysian time, rather than Thai time (no indication). If it is Malaysian time, then I'd have an extra hour to make it to the hour. Any clue?

#1 Posted: 31/12/2007 - 03:55

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Minibuses from Hat Yai will be more frequent to Satun or Trang than direct to Pakbara, I'd guess on the hour, but am not positive. From Satun, songtheaw to Pakbara etc etc, but I think it could be a close call.

But I think that timetable is in malay time, as according to Seat61, that train gets into Hat Yai at 10:20, in which case you shouldn't have a problem.

#2 Posted: 2/1/2008 - 18:55

• dlewingt

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2007

We are planning to visit Koh Lipe in Feb/08. We,ve heard there is a travel advisory for the southern provinces as well as Hat Yai. Is it possible to fly into Satun and take a minibus to Pak Bara or fly into Padang (Malaysia) and go by road to Pak Bara? Is it really as dangerous as we are led to believe from the travel advisory?
    Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 Posted: 3/1/2008 - 03:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.