Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Getting to Koh Lipe

• dlewingt

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2007

My wife and I are planning a trip to Thailand in Feb/08. We plan to visit Koh Lipe and have heard there is a travel advisory for the southern provinces and Hat Yai. Is it as dangerous as the advisory suggests? We were planning to fly into Hat Yai from Bangkok and then take a minibus to Pak Bara. Is there a safer way to get to Pak Bara such as flying into Satun or Padang (Malaysia)?

#1 Posted: 3/1/2008 - 03:50

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Dave,

The warnings are related to the far south eastern provinces (Narathiwat, Pattana and Yala) -- Satun province (where Ko Lipe is) has been largely unaffected.

There have however been some attacks in Hat Yai, though not for some time now, and as its the southern transit hub, you'll pretty much have to pass through there anyway. If you really wanted to avoid Hat Yai, I'd suggest flying to Trang and heading south to PakBara from there (there's no airport at Satun).

#2 Posted: 3/1/2008 - 06:34

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Hello dlewingt,

We done this trip in November: fly BKK-HadYai, minubus to PakBara, then speedboat to Koh Lipe. IMHO, this is a safe way. There is high security measures in airport, bus station etc.
    Alternatively, you can get direct ferry from Lankgawi (Malaysia) to Koh Lipe. But I don't know exact schedule...

#3 Posted: 10/1/2008 - 18:07

• Antaro

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2008

Hi dlewingt,

there is a new daily ferry from Koh Lanta to Langkawi that also stops in Ko Muk, Trang and on Lipe. Ferry-Details on http://www.kohlipethailand.com/ferry_times.php
    That makes it easy to fly into Trang and take the ferry from there. Enjoy!

#4 Posted: 13/1/2008 - 23:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.