Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

GETTING AROUND IN THAILAND

• RACER283

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2007

Hello,
    My wife and I will be in Thailand in Feb.'08
    We were thinking about the best transportation method (bus or train) and routing for the following:
    BANGKOK TO KANCHANBURI ( KWAI BRIDGE + ERAWAN FALLS)
    KANCHANBRI TO AYUTHAYA (TEMPLES)
    AYUTHAYA TO SUKHOTHAI (TEMPLES)
    SUKHOTHAI TO LAMPANG (ELEPHANT CONSERVATION CENTRE)
    LAMPANG TO CHIANG MAI.
    1-Is it better to go back to Bangkok to get to AYUTHAYA or easier from KANCHANBURI?
    2-I was told there is no train station in SUKHOTHAI...what would be the best way to get there from AYUTHAYA?
    3-How is it trying to get accommodation in the above places in February?
    Thank you for any help and Happy New Year.

#1 Posted: 4/1/2008 - 00:56

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

1) There are minibus services from Kanchanaburi to Ayutthaya, but most travellers opt to go via Bangkok. I'd lean towards bus back to Bangkok then train north to Ayutthaya.

2) That's correct -- the closest train station is at Phitsanulok so you could continue north from Ayutthaya by train to Phitsanulok. Once there, there are regular buses west to Sukhothai.

3) Shouldn't be tooo bad in February -- as I always say, if you've got your heart set on a specific place, then by all means book ahead, but if you're fairly flexible, you should be ok.

Thanks - Happy New Year!

#2 Posted: 4/1/2008 - 09:25

• murwill16

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2005

We chose to use mini bus Kanchanaburi to Ayutthaya, trip took about 2 hr 30 min so quicker than returning to Bangkok and then to Ayutthaya. From Ayutthaya we cought a bus to Sukkhotai, trip took about 5hr 40 min including a stop for a meal.
    We had booked ahead in mid February this year .but mainly so that we could stay at the GH/hotel we selected after research here and on lonely Planet rather than finding something on arrival, just made it easier after a long bus trip. In Sukhotai we stayed at the Lotus Village GH and it was fully booked, saw a few being turned away. In Kanchanaburi we stayed at the Ploy GH and on the day of our arrival it was full, again another couple were turned away but after that rooms appeared to be available, there were vacancies at other places.

#3 Posted: 4/1/2008 - 13:59

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Another option you can think about.

The places you want to visit are pretty common, most any travel agency in Bangkok can set you up with a tour. The travel agents act as brokers for the tour companies. They have a menu list of available tours, you select one that matches your needs and the tour company picks you up at your hotel and returns you there when the tour is over. There are overnight tours too that include hotels and sightseeing. It is very simple to get tours when you are in Bangkok.

(There are lots and lots of travel agents in Bangkok, there is no problem finding one!)

For a Bangkok hotel you would be better off getting that hotel near a Skytrain connection. Being able to use the Skytrain will save you time and money getting around the city. There is a connection via Skytrain for the subway at Asok, the subway can take you to the main train station (Hualamphong.) The Skytrain can also connect you to the Ekamai bus station.

Have fun

#4 Posted: 4/1/2008 - 22:01

• RACER283

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2007

Many thanks for all your feedback.

#5 Posted: 4/1/2008 - 22:09

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

There is a bus from Kanchanaburi to Suphanburi:
    http://www.kanchanaburi-info.com/en/bus.html#Suphanburi
    Then you can change bus to Ayutthaya:
    http://www.kanchanaburi-info.com/en/bus.html#Ayutthaya

I think, this will be a shorter way, than via Bangkok :)

#6 Posted: 10/1/2008 - 18:18

• RACER283

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2007

Thank you to Vlad and everyone for helping me out with all of this info.
    Kindest regards.

#7 Posted: 10/1/2008 - 22:32

• kittenkat

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2008

I will be in Thailand from the 14th of March 08 and I want to know if there are any international bands performing while I am there (anywhere in Thailand). Does anyone know how I can find this out?

#8 Posted: 11/1/2008 - 18:24

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

www.thaiticketmaster.com

#9 Posted: 12/1/2008 - 00:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.