Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Visa

  • dazm26

    Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2007
    Posts: 19

    I will be entering Thailand overland and have no idea how long i will be staying, although i do know it will not exceed 30 days. How does this work please, do i need a tourist visa os i dont have proof of onward travel?

    #1 Posted: 7/1/2008 - 17:58

  • Advertisement

  • ChangFai

    Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 139

    [At the discretion of the immigration officer] You should receive a 30 day 'visa on arrival' .

    If you are staying less than 30 days you do not need a tourist visa , and you could always get the voa extended by 7 further days at a locla immigration office.

    It is possible that the may ask for proof of onward travel , but not a certainty , and I would say unlikely .

    From the stories I am hearing about the Cambodian Border , there is always some way around this [for a price]

    #2 Posted: 7/1/2008 - 20:25

  • Guernseystu

    Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Posts: 108

    This depends on which border you will be crossing. Malaysia isn't a problem, in fact it's the easiest. Myanmar and Laos are fine too but as Chang Fai said the Cambodian officials can make life very awkward so don't argue just throw them some cash and get it over with as quickly as you can.

    #3 Posted: 8/1/2008 - 00:39

  • khunwilko

    Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Posts: 560

    Just on a technicallity the "30 day stamp" available to visitors from up to 43 countries is not a visa..or a VOA, it is an agreement with those countries to allow tourist to stay for up to 30 WITHOUT a visa.
    On leving the Kingdom and re-entering you will be issued with another 30 day stamp....You are only allowed 3 such visits within a stated period (which I don't have to hand).

    #4 Posted: 8/1/2008 - 10:43

  • ChangFai

    Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 139

    Khun Wilko
    Of course you are correct and I should not have used the phrase Visa on Arrival .

    On your other point I believe its no more than 90 days in a 6 month period .

    #5 Posted: 8/1/2008 - 11:34

  • sirhalberd

    Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007
    Posts: 295

    How many days you get stamped in your passport depends on the country you are a citizen of.



    If you are from the U.S., Canada or the UK you can get a 30 day permission stamp in your passport.

    Above link has info for other countries.

    #6 Posted: 9/1/2008 - 03:53

  • beemeers

    Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2007
    Location Canada
    Posts: 15

    What is the deal with Tourist visa's that allow you to stay longer than a month period without leaving the country? And also where are the best places for renewing your 30 day visa around phuket and surat thani.

    #7 Posted: 18/1/2008 - 03:34

  • somtam2000

    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Posts: 7371
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

    You can get a two month tourist visa from Thai consulates and embassies overseas. From Phuket or ST closest visa run spot is Ranong -- we've got a story on doing a visa run to there, here.

    #8 Posted: 18/1/2008 - 09:14

  • Guernseystu

    Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Posts: 108

    In Surat Thani you can extend your visa for 1,900 Baht at the Immigration Office behind the Town Hall on Donnok Road.

    #9 Posted: 18/1/2008 - 10:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee