Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How would you route your 6 weeks...

• cardam

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2008

Hi All,

Just looking for a few suggestions from all you seasoned travellers! I've been trawling through the suggested itineries on the site and seem to be getting bogged down with the infinite possibilities! Bascially I fly solo into Bangkok on the 18 Feb and have to be in NZ by the start of April and really want to make the most of my time. I don't want to run ragged and so am just aiming for Thailand/Laos with a self promise to come back again (unless anyone thinks otherwise, I'm all ears!)

I really want to get up North/Northwest Thailand and Northern Laos, but would also love to see Southern Thailand and am open to suggestions on Southern Laos. Unfortunaly I'm goin a month later than hoped and am slightly wary of changes in the weather, so with this in mind, would you head South or North first, and when going North, is it better/easier/prettier to go direct from Bangkok to Vientaine then up through Laos and across to Chiang Mai or vice versa? Is the weather really such an issue this early in the year?

I've no problems with taking internal flights to help things along, but if you had to sacrifice any route to do this, which would it be? Would you end your 6 weeks flying out of Bangkok, or perhaps fly out of Singapore for example and so also take in some of Malaysisa?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts anyone has, so many questions, so little time!

Cheers

#1 Posted: 9/1/2008 - 10:33

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As you say weather shouldn't be much of a concern for the time you're talking about.

If you're happy to put down for a flight, you could do something like:
    Bangkok -> Ayutthaya -> Sukhothai -> Chiang Mai -> Mae Sariang -> Mae Hong Son -> Pai -> Chiang Dao -> Chiang Rai -> Chiang Khong -> Huay Xai. Pause for a breath.

Note by doing the Mae Hong Son loop clockwise you don't need to go back to Chiang Mai to continue north. Instead you can take a left and head north via Chiang Dao -- it involves a bus change and probably some standing around on the side of the road, but that's about it.

Moving on:
    Huay Xai -> Gibbon Experience -> back to HX then boat south to Luang Prabang. Then either fly back to Bangkok or, continue south to Vang Vieng and Vientiane then skip over the border, overnight train to Bangkok.

From Bangkok south to the island of your choice. There are flight connections from Phuket, Hat Yai and Ko Samui to Singapore so you could fly down if time was tight.

The above gives you a good grounding in northern Thailand, a taste of some of the highlights of northern Laos and a decent swack of beach time to round it out. I'd be inclined to leave Southern Laos for trip #2

#2 Posted: 9/1/2008 - 14:11

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Sorry I though you meant route as in Aussie "route"/"root"...

#3 Posted: 9/1/2008 - 14:43

• cardam

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2008

Thanks for that somtam, I'll just pull up for a few maps now to settle the confusion...

#4 Posted: 10/1/2008 - 01:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.