Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Trouble Choosing an Island!

• JamieB

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2008

I have been reading the descriptions for each of the Thai Islands and I still can't figure out which island/s are the best to visit! This will be my first time to Thailand and I have only heard about Phuket, but I have been turned off by the number of negative comments made on the blogs. I am young and looking to meet other travelers but also want a real taste of the culture and the Thai people. Does anyone have suggestions as to what their favorite islands are? I will traveling in early April for 2 weeks.

#1 Posted: 17/1/2008 - 04:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jamie,

My first suggestion would be an island in the southwest -- eg Ko Sukorn or Ko Libong -- these are very low-key places though -- you'll meet some other travellers, but not a lot.

Otherwise it's difficult to recommend an island that is good for meeting other travellers and one that offers a real taste of Thai culture/people. For instance Ko Yao Noi is great for culture/people, but you'll meet few travellers there, while Ko Pha Ngan or Ko Tao are great for meeting backpackers, but not so hot on the culture side.

#2 Posted: 17/1/2008 - 06:10

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

If you want to experience Thai culture etc, it's worth bearing in mind that most Thai people don't live on islands, they live on the mainland and work for a living in factories and on farms etc

#3 Posted: 17/1/2008 - 09:19

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Depending on how soon you will come here I may be able to help you with a suggestion. I will be visiting Koh Pha-Ngan next week as I have heard about a very quiet little area of the island that is the polar opposite to Had Rin. Quiet, cheap accommodation, few tourists and good food.

Some years ago I went to Koh Lanta and it was one of the best places that I have been but this has surely changed by now.

#4 Posted: 17/1/2008 - 17:12

• JamieB

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2008

Thanks for the information everyone! And Guernseystu, let me know what you think about Koh Pha-Ngan when you get back. I will be arriving at the beginning of April...

#5 Posted: 18/1/2008 - 03:29

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

rememvber that the middle of April is Song Khran...the Thai new year....so everywhere will be pretty full

#6 Posted: 18/1/2008 - 09:19

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Just got back from Koh Pha-Ngan and I, once again, have faith that not every beach in this country has been entirely ruined. Great place, cheap bungalows and lots to do. The only downside for me was the food. Mainly foreign stuff (which is okay once in a while) and crappy Thai food as a backup. There were no vendors or little food shops selling proper Thai food.

Anyway, heartily recommended, so just go to this link and see The Wife's picture report

#7 Posted: 2/2/2008 - 23:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Guernseystu -- that's some nice pics -- I didn't realise there was another bay after Haad Khom -- great find.

Glad you managed to dodge all those naked stoned hippy types... ;-)

#8 Posted: 3/2/2008 - 07:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
choosing an island in Thailand? ... By damjanco on 17 Aug 2009 16 2113 30 Aug 2009