Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

KANCHANABURI TO KO SAMET??

• paulascott

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2006

Can anyone tell me how long I should expect this journey to take. Are there little mini buses which leave Kanchanaburi to Ko Samet and if there are, how much $ and how long does the journey take. Thanks all in anticipation of your answers!!

#1 Posted: 22/1/2008 - 19:14

• Advertisement

• Lam_merison

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2007

call your closest tour agent in Kanchanburi for more information

#2 Posted: 25/1/2008 - 07:24

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi PaulaScott,

Checking with a travel agent isn't a bad suggestion, but not exactly insightful either, so hopefully some of the following will also help.

I'm not aware of any minibuses that go all the way from Kanchanaburi to Ban Phe/Ko Samet, so you'll likely need to break this trip into two parts; back to Bangers, then onward to Ban Phe/Ko Samet.

The last time I was in Kanchanaburi the backpacker/tourist minibuses back to Bangkok were going for 130 baht per person, but that was before oil prices went through the roof, so I'd expect to pay more than that now. There is also the regular bus option and the train option, but for your purposes, that minibus would likely be quicker and more convenient, since it will drop you back in the Khao San Road area of Bangkok. I'd expect to spend from two to three hours to get back to BKK, depending on which way (bus, train, minibus) you use.

From Bangkok, you can connect to another minibus directly to Ban Phe and Ko Samet. I'd expect to pay in the 400 baht range for that trip these days, but that is just my best guess. I'm not sure that those minibuses leave throughout the day, so a bit of coordination with a travel agent will help you sort that out and figure out if the departure times fit your schedule or not. Another option is to track across town to the Ekkamai bus station and take the regular bus to Ban Phe (for Ko Samet) from there. That will likely be 300 baht or more now with higher oil prices and take upwards of four hours for the trip.

As for Samet Island, the best time to arrive is mid-week, to avoid the crowds of weekenders from Bangkok. If you stop by or stay at Naga, please say hello to Sue for me. She's a lot of fun. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 25/1/2008 - 13:56

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

paulascott,
    you can use regular buses. Timetable, distances and fares you can find here:
    http://www.transport.co.th/Eng/HomeEnglish.htm

Usually "eastern" buses (Pattaya, Rayong, Ban Phe etc) depart from Ekkamai bus station, and buses from Kanchcnaburi arrive to SaiTaiMai bus station. But 1 year ago I catch bus from Pattaya, which arrive to SaiTaiMai (because my nex destination was Kanchcnaburi). You can check, may be there is similar buses from/to Ban Phe.

Another "connection point" is MoChit bus station. This is "north" bus terminal, but there is buses from/to virtually any direction.

#4 Posted: 25/1/2008 - 17:45

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Would just like to confirm that there is a bus service that runs between Southern Bus Station and Pattaya Bus Station .

No need to go over to Ekkamai .

Also regular uses from Mor Chit to Pattaya too .

#5 Posted: 27/1/2008 - 10:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.