Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

lipe to Penang

• arenal

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2008

Hi,
    I'm planning to stay in Lipe for a week, and I was wondering if it was easy to go from there to Penang, in Malaysia.
    Anyone been there?
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 8/2/2008 - 05:37

• Advertisement

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi

Last Jan 07 we caught a ferry from Lipe to Langkawi. It runs on odd days eg 1st, 3rd etc. As all the guesthouses and travel booths sell tickets it can be overbooked so if they tell to to be there at 3 make sure you are there earlier cos it's first in best dressed and if you miss out it's a 2 day wait for the next one. There is no pier on Lipe the ferry leaves from the eastern end of Hat Pattaya. There is an upmarket resort, I can't remember the name, where your ticket seller will tell you to go. All the border/passport paperwork is done at the back of the restaurant pavillion. We didn't know this and nearly missed out on our seats. The Malays, unlike the Thais, strictly observe the rules regarding the number of passengers allowed on board. From Langkawi you can catch a boat to Penang.

Have fun

Marian

#2 Posted: 8/2/2008 - 07:05

• arenal

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2008

thanks so much
    Have you been to Penang? If so, was it worth it?

#3 Posted: 8/2/2008 - 08:09

• arenal

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2008

I just checked hours for ferries and found that the following: the one from Koh Lipe to Langkawi leaves at 15:30 and arrives at 17:00; and the one from Langkawi to Penang leaves at 17:00. Thus, it doesn't look very likely that I'll be able to do the trip in just one day.
    Does anybody have different information?
    Thanks in advance!

#4 Posted: 8/2/2008 - 08:52

• miurasilver

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2008

i took a ferry to langkawi from lipe in the morning. there is daily ferrys now. last year it was on odd days, but now they are daily. i think one leaving at 9 am and another at 1:30 or 2:00 pm. not sure about penang.

#5 Posted: 8/2/2008 - 11:56

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi arenal

Can't offer any more ferry info. I loved Penang. Spend 10 days there. Georgetown is compact and easy to get around on foot although there is a free shuttle bus to take you to the main attractions (sometimes it was quicker to walk than wait for the bus - though good to do once to help orientation) We caught public buses from Komtar Shopping Centre to the outlying attractions - even hired a car on the last day - but the island is so small you can drive around in a single hour if you don't stop anywhere.

Hope this helps

Regards

Marian

#6 Posted: 8/2/2008 - 12:33

• arenal

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2008

i does. Thank you all for the replies.

#7 Posted: 8/2/2008 - 16:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.