Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Buying furniture in Thailand

• hannesnaomi

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2008

I have heard that Thailand is a great place to buy furniture. Wondering if its worth it to purchase furniture there and have it shipped back to Canada? Anyone done this? Easy to do? Costs involved? Recommend shipping companies?? Best city or store to shop at?

#1 Posted: 9/2/2008 - 13:31

• Advertisement

• wombatwood

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2008

hope u get replies,i to want to do the same only to australia

#2 Posted: 9/2/2008 - 13:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We bought quiet a bit of furniture in Thailand and have dragged it around with us ever since. Some of the nicest stuff is refurbished teak (the wood is taken from an old teak house and remade into furniture).

There's a massive selection of stores in Bangkok that do this kind of thing -- and any reputable store will be able to arrange shipping, often they can put you onto a few shippers and you can compare costs.

I can't help on shipping costs though... as ours have always been as a part of a bigger shipment.

A good place to start is the furniture section at Chatuchak -- the vendors there often have warehouses further out that hold a wider variety of pieces...

You may want to check with customs in your home country to check on regulations regarding the import of wood, as I know in Australia they can be a bit tetchy.

#3 Posted: 9/2/2008 - 14:51

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Thailand doesn't really have a long tradition of making furniture....so most of what you get is a copy of China, Burma or some other neighbour. If you are sure it's recycled timber I would say if you like it buy....BUT most furniture you see is made from poorly seasoned timber of questionable origin....so if you care for the rainforest BEWARE.

Solid timber in any product always has a doubt about how "green" it is as it it really not necessary or environmentally friendly to make good furniture out of solid wood anyway.

#4 Posted: 9/2/2008 - 17:14

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good advice from KW there -- indeed buyer beware.

If you're looking for reclaimed wood in furniture (as we were) -- the patina (the feel and texture of the wood) pretty quickly distinguishes an old piece to something relatively new. We bought from Art of Living -- at 60,000B, the three pieces we bought were not cheap, but they're now almost ten years old and look as fine as the day we bought them.

#5 Posted: 9/2/2008 - 17:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Buying furniture in Vientiane ... By swag on 1 Dec 2007 0 2129 1 Dec 2007