Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok Nightlife - Must sees/do???

• hannesnaomi

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2008

My boyfriend and I will be travelling thru Thailand for the month of March spending a few nights in BKK. Would like to see both the cultural nightlife of BKK but also the "party" type atmosphere (not necessarily in the same night). We are in our mid 30's and young at heart. Any recommendations on nightclubs, parties, or events happening in BKK that are a Must See/do? Or are there event newspapers/ads we can check out once we are there or even ahead of time?

#1 Posted: 9/2/2008 - 13:48

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For starters:
    Silom Soi 4
    Sukhumvit Soi 11 (Q Bar and Bed Supperclub)
    Khao San Rd

For detailed guides see bangkokrecorder.com as a good starting point.

#2 Posted: 9/2/2008 - 14:52

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

You can also take a side trip to Pattaya. VIP bus from Ekamai bus station is less than 120 baht. Hotels in Pattaya are cheaper too. Interesting night life of all sorts.

#3 Posted: 10/2/2008 - 10:36

• hannesnaomi

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2008

Anyone been to Soi Cowboys?

#4 Posted: 15/2/2008 - 04:48

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Soi Cowboy is the smaller and more laid-back of the three major girlie bar areas in Bangkok that cater to western tourists, the other two being Pat Pong and Nana Plaza. Soi Cowboy is fairly easy to find, located right near the intersection of Sukhumvit Road and Soi Asoke, as well as being on both the Skytrain and Subway lines.

The bars and restaurants there range from low-key and friendly pool halls to a few of the higher-pressure and potentially clip joints that plague places like Pat Pong.

Because it is a big more friendly and less crowded (with a wide pedestrian street running between the two rows of bars on either side), it is often more frequented by an older crowd as well as couples who are more curious (which I assume includes you) than hard-core punters.

Most folks simply wander up and down the street until they find a bar that appeals to them for whatever reason. One place that was often popular with first time visitors was Tilak, rumored to be owned or at least operated by former employees of the US Embassy. However, I can't say if that particular place is still there (or all of Soi Cowboy for that matter), since my info is approx 18 months dated at this point and names, ownership, and entire staffs of bars tend to turn over every six months or so.

These places aren't for everyone, and if you don't feel comfortable, don't go in. There are lots of other low-key outdoor-style beer bars and other fun places to hang out that don't necessarily dip into the seedier side of the city. Cheers.

#5 Posted: 15/2/2008 - 07:58

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Tilac is still there and just had a renovation .

I agree Soi Cowboy not for everyone , but far more user friendly than Patpong or Nana Plaza .

Cowboy has a more expat feel to it I think , and is popular just now because drinks are more reasonably priced , with good happy hours earlier in the evening .

Not that I am some expert ;-)

#6 Posted: 15/2/2008 - 12:05

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

Agree with ChangFai - there are a couple of 'norma' pubs on Cowboy which appeal to the ex=pat crowd. There is a few bars around the area where you won't feel uncomfortable.

#7 Posted: 15/2/2008 - 18:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.