Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Quick Question....

• ARussell

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2008

How hard is it to find work... paid or unpaid... (free room and board and what not) in Thailand or South East Asia in general? also are there any good sites with information on this?

#1 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 05:55

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I hate it when people don't put a proper title on their postings..........

In short in Thailand you haven't got a chance unless you have a business or get a job that no Thai can do or are a teacher.

#2 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 09:33

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Russell,

I'm not aware of any specific websites with this type of information and don't even know where to suggest you begin to look.

From my experience, apart from the folks who manage to successfully open and operate a business in Thailand, the people who have managed to extend their holiday by finding casual work tend to hook up with a restaurant or guest house in a tourist area. Often times this is the result of a personal relationship with the people who own or operate the business, and I think can be iffy, since they often times don't have the proper legal authority to be working there.

Others that seem to do well often times have a specific skill, such as the many scuba instructors I've met over the years or the English teachers working throughout the country.

Perhaps on your next trip you can scout around a bit, checking with the types of businesses where you think you might like to work. However, like wilko already mentioned, the opportunities are unfortunately limited and the ability to get the legal right to work perhaps even more so. Good luck. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 11:48

• ARussell

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2008

okay good info, thanks for your help exacto

#4 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 12:07

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Bear in mind that work in Thailand....paid or unpaid, requires a work permit.......

#5 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 12:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

www.ajarn.com is a good starting point for queries like this.

English teaching is the most common job people tend to fall into (assuming they can't find anything better) as the job criteria is often ridiculously low (as is the pay). As exacto says, dive work is another one (though obviously you need to know how to dive). Other stuff like bar work, working in a guesthouse etc, are much less frequent -- mostly because the work is SO badly paid.

Also as KW points out, work in Thailand requires the correct visa, though in many many cases people work without one, often for years and years -- one close friend in Bkk has been working for a multinational firm for the last nine years illegally - he's yet to have a problem, though if he was to be caught I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Overall I'd say if you're looking at picking up casual work along the way to prolong your travels, outside of English teaching, you may not have too much luck -- much better off to cash up in your home country and just travel!

#6 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 13:14

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

The wage for bar staff is about 3 to 5000 baht per month.

You will have to accept 200 baht a day or less.
    \
    If you want to teach you need a Degree and a TEFL certificate ....bring the originals.

Many of the people who have been working here illegally have also been here for some time and know the score...if you just walk in and try to work illegally, someone is very likely to dob you in....most likely another teacher!

#7 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 15:13

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Also, like Somtam says, since Thailand is still a relatively inexpensive place to travel (and there is so much fun stuff to do to fill your days on holiday), you might just be better off saving up your money in your home country instead. If you are really itching for that overseas work adventure, depending on where you are from and how old you are, Australia and New Zealand may be a good option to pick up some casual work while and holiday and save a bit extra for your trip to SEA. The last time I was in Australia and New Zealand, I met quite a few young Europeans and North Americans who were working their way around doing seasonal agro stuff and from they told me were even managing to save a few dollars. It isn't glamorous work, but they seemed to like it okay. There is a whole circuit for this type of thing and best to get good info before you start working since not all jobs are equal and some employers do try to take advantage.

By the way, there are TEFL programs in Thailand, if you really feel the need for a working holiday and are looking to get that TEFL certificate. The program I've researched holds classes in places like Chiang Mai, Ban Phe (mainland area across from Ko Samet) and elsewhere. Worth a look anyway. Regards.

#8 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 21:36

• ARussell

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2008

Thanks guys for all the helpful replies.

I wouldnt plan on working for money or to extend the trip, I plan on saving more than enough money to travel with, I just thought it would be nice to stay put in one place for a while, meet some people and have a working experience in a foriegn country.

:)

#9 Posted: 12/2/2008 - 08:42

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Whether its paid or not...you still require a work permit in Thailand.

#10 Posted: 12/2/2008 - 09:49

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Quick Question ... By Phiddy on 19 Dec 2011 3 1816 17 Apr 2012
quick question - PEK layover ... By VonWOOTER on 24 Sep 2010 2 1470 28 Sep 2010
Quick Visa Question Please!! ... By TheNewGuy8 on 10 Nov 2010 2 1424 11 Nov 2010
Quick Question-Thai Visa ... By cheeco on 16 Dec 2009 1 2396 4 May 2010
leaving sunday..quick footwear question ... By walkingtrees on 29 Jul 2010 6 2888 29 Jul 2010
leaving sunday...quick footwear question ... By walkingtrees on 29 Jul 2010 2 2492 30 Jul 2010
Quick question about guesthouses in Bogor and transportation to airport from there ... By gilrand on 1 Nov 2011 3 1758 1 Nov 2011