Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Slowboat to Luang Prabang from Chiang Khong

Posted by cpw18 on 11/2/2008 at 17:11

Keep reading and hearing lots of different things and just hoping to get the true low down re: departure times, when/how/where to book, costs of everything (boat, visa, anything else), best place to do the visa, etc.. Am I missing anything? Any other tips? I know some snacks/beers and a cushion are key! Thanks

#1 cpw18 has been a member since 10/2/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by cpw18 on 11/2/2008 at 17:21

Also curious if it makes any sense to do the organized rides through EasyTrip or any of the other providers (booking from Chiang Rai) so that it includes minivan transport and guest house along the way (I've heard it can be a nightmare trying to get a place). It's quoted as 1920 baht including 2 lunch boxes, mini-van pickup from Chiang-Rai to Chiang Khong, and a guest house in PakBeng. I don't usually do anything organized, haven't even done an organized trek yet - so thought I'd inquire.
Thanks

#2 cpw18 has been a member since 10/2/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by Guernseystu on 12/2/2008 at 00:33

If you don't want to do it the organised way the you don't have to. Just get you visa beforehand, head over to Huay Xai, spend the night there (nice little village) and you can arrange your ticket and supplies the night before. Once you get to Pakbeng you'll need to go for a little walk around to find a nice room. Lots of places in a small area so not at all hard.

No nightmares involved, you don't have to believe everything that you are told!

#3 Guernseystu has been a member since 10/7/2007. Posts: 108

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.