Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Last week in Thailand

• simonb9

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2008

Having spent 8/9 days in and around Bangkok and then 8/19 days in Cambodia I am coming back to Thailand for another week or so. I want to chill out on some beaches and so some lazing around with a bit of snorkeling.

Where would be the best place to go ?? I thought of Island hopping from Koi Samui to Ko Pha Ngan to Ko Tao and having a couple of days on each. Is this just too much hassle or should I find one islands to stay on for the duration ?

Don't want a wild place nor a couples place !!

#1 Posted: 11/2/2008 - 22:44

• Advertisement

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Check out the Coral Bay Resort in the Chaloklum area of Northern Koh Pha-Ngan. I just got back from spending four days there and it's great. Nice resort, beautiful beach, not too many buildings, snorkelling and kayaking too.

#2 Posted: 12/2/2008 - 00:27

• 2face

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

Hi Simonb9,

Koh Pha-Ngan is probably your best choice, yes.
    And do make sure to avoid the lure of Haad Rin
    beach, which used to be a God-given paradise, but
    is now a lot of concrete and commotion.

As you don't have much time to relax, maybe not take the lovely overnight train ride down, but instead
    fly to Koh Samui, and boat over(only :40).

I don't know Coral Bay by experience, but the place does look ideal for you, according to Guerneystu's great pictures of the area.

Closer to BKK is Koh Samet. But give that place
    miss, I say, and tell a friend, as they charge a 400 baht entrance fee for farangs, while locals pay just
    a nominal fee, which locals seem to think is funny...

... and for that national park fee you have noisy motorcycles flying by on the dirt road behind your hut, and noisy motorcycles on the beach while laying out.

(This two-tier pricing for parks, etc., is a relative shame on the country; it's low class. I can understand some difference--locals support parks through paying their taxes, but the disparity is often huge.

I mean, what would it say if, national treasures like
    at the Tate Modern in London, or the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. had a special price for Thais and other tourists, instead of being free to all?

China, Cambodia, Vietnam, are no different, of course; Laos, India, too, and one can kind of expect it in some places, but not Thailand, not anymore at least.)

Anyway, have a great trip wherever you go!

#3 Posted: 12/2/2008 - 13:24

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Good post and good advice 2face.

Regarding the two-tier pricing system I think that it is quite fair as long-term teachers living in Thailand get in for Thai price by showing their work permit as do non-teachers living in Thailand by showing a Thai drivers licence or other forms of local ID.

#4 Posted: 13/2/2008 - 00:55

• 2face

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

Guernseystu, I didn't know that about getting
    local prices with Thai driver's license or
    local ID. That's a great tip. Thanks for that.

#5 Posted: 13/2/2008 - 22:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.