Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Need suggestions on clothing....

Posted by urbal on 21/2/2008 at 05:56

I will be spending 30 days in Thailand (7 days in south and the rest in the north) and perhaps a week or so in Laos. We are traveling end of April to the end of May. I have spent quite a bit of time on this site reading the forums and have spent time on http://travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm trying to figure out what is an appropriate amount/type of clothing to bring. My goal is to go as light as possible. Currently I was planning on bringing in total, including what I wear on the plane:

2 Pairs Pants (Columbia lightweight)
2 Long Sleeve / rollup shirts
1 T Shirt
1 Polo or Short Sleeve shirt
4 pairs wool socks
4 pairs of regular cotton underwear

I am wondering a few things:
1. Should I bring 3 pairs pants total?
2. Should I only bring 1 long sleeve/rollup shirt?
3. Should I spring for some hybrid / quickdry material underwear?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

#1 urbal has been a member since 15/11/2007. Posts: 12

Posted by khunwilko on 21/2/2008 at 08:25

How anal can you get?

Don't bring anything!

Clothes are very cheap in Thailand and a lot of what you bring will be too warm...so just bring the minimum and buy anything extra here. You can even buy a extra bag to take it home in!

#2 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by KirSin on 21/2/2008 at 11:59

I couldnt agree more with khunwilko. I am a malaysian and thailand stuff are generally cheaper. Just dont feel shy to haggle the price. Its part of the cultural. :D

#3 KirSin has been a member since 19/2/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by urbal on 22/2/2008 at 01:04

Thanks, khunwilko for your insightful and courteous response. The clothing I already own is quick drying, hybrid-fiber, ultra-light hiking/travel gear intended for climates similar to S.E. Asia during the hot season.... I have read the information you so graciously copy and pasted from "thailand 101" and was hoping to get more specific discussion with the idea of carrying as _little_ as possible and still being comfortable.

Cheers!

#4 urbal has been a member since 15/11/2007. Posts: 12

Posted by khunwilko on 22/2/2008 at 09:30

I'm sure you will be the epitome of sartorial elegance....just remember that you can buy stuff a lot cheaper in Thailand when someone nicks your "hi-so" woolen socks and regular cotton underwear.

Cut & paste - how dare you?

#5 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.