Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Need suggestions on clothing....

• urbal

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2007

I will be spending 30 days in Thailand (7 days in south and the rest in the north) and perhaps a week or so in Laos. We are traveling end of April to the end of May. I have spent quite a bit of time on this site reading the forums and have spent time on http://travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm trying to figure out what is an appropriate amount/type of clothing to bring. My goal is to go as light as possible. Currently I was planning on bringing in total, including what I wear on the plane:

2 Pairs Pants (Columbia lightweight)
    2 Long Sleeve / rollup shirts
    1 T Shirt
    1 Polo or Short Sleeve shirt
    4 pairs wool socks
    4 pairs of regular cotton underwear

I am wondering a few things:
    1. Should I bring 3 pairs pants total?
    2. Should I only bring 1 long sleeve/rollup shirt?
    3. Should I spring for some hybrid / quickdry material underwear?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

#1 Posted: 21/2/2008 - 05:56

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

How anal can you get?

Don't bring anything!

Clothes are very cheap in Thailand and a lot of what you bring will be too warm...so just bring the minimum and buy anything extra here. You can even buy a extra bag to take it home in!

#2 Posted: 21/2/2008 - 08:25

• KirSin

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2008

I couldnt agree more with khunwilko. I am a malaysian and thailand stuff are generally cheaper. Just dont feel shy to haggle the price. Its part of the cultural. :D

#3 Posted: 21/2/2008 - 11:59

• urbal

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2007

Thanks, khunwilko for your insightful and courteous response. The clothing I already own is quick drying, hybrid-fiber, ultra-light hiking/travel gear intended for climates similar to S.E. Asia during the hot season.... I have read the information you so graciously copy and pasted from "thailand 101" and was hoping to get more specific discussion with the idea of carrying as _little_ as possible and still being comfortable.

Cheers!

#4 Posted: 22/2/2008 - 01:04

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I'm sure you will be the epitome of sartorial elegance....just remember that you can buy stuff a lot cheaper in Thailand when someone nicks your "hi-so" woolen socks and regular cotton underwear.

Cut & paste - how dare you?

#5 Posted: 22/2/2008 - 09:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.