Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Hotel advice in Bangkok?

• ramayer

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2008

Hi all, visiting Thailand for the first time in a few weeks and want to book a hotel in Bangkok before we arrive so we can acclimatize and have a few comfortable nights before heading up north and down to the islands.
    I have come across these hotels that look to be in our budget and in a decent location, can anyone who knows these hotels give us some advice/review on them? or recommend other hotels in Bangkok?

Mango Lagoon Place
    Sawadee Bangkok Inn
    Sawasdee Khaosan Inn

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 22/2/2008 - 00:55

• Advertisement

• canidas

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2007

If you don't have to be near the hustle and bustle of Khaosan road, I can recommend http://www.ktguesthouse.com ... its near Chatochak weekend market, really nice and clean and you get a lot more for you money than in Khaosan ... 690BHT for a double with AC and hot shower.
    They even clean you room each day :) ... and you have a nice pool

#2 Posted: 22/2/2008 - 20:48

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I've stayed at the KT Guesthouse and agree with canidas that it is nice and clean and good value for money. The pool is also good and we spent a fun afternoon splashing away there.

Another favorite of mine is the PS Guesthouse on Sukhumvit Soi 8. It is included in the Travelfish accommodation listings.

The only downside of these places is that they are fairly far from most of the main temples and other areas that first-time visitors to Bangkok usually want to see. Even so, both places are reasonably close to the metro or the skytrain. Regards.

#3 Posted: 22/2/2008 - 23:47

• kevwc

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2008

Lived there for years. A HOTEL that is decent and includes a reasonable buffet breakfast is the Siam Beverly. It is off the beaten path somewhat, but close to a Carrefour and some other cheap department store-type shopping. It is also about a 4 block walk to the nearest metro station, so not too far to walk. You should be able to get it for about $30/night for 2 people incl. breakfast. Siam Beverly is a 3-star tourist-class hotel. But it is a hotel and has a swimming pool. Breakfast is a mix of simple Thai and western food, but buffet. A decent place to stay for a couple nights in BKK.

#4 Posted: 25/2/2008 - 11:15

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

Have not stayed at any of their places, but I've read negative reviews of some of properties in the Sawasdee chain, here on Travelfish and on other forums.

you can read some reviews of Khaosan Inn and Bangkok Inn right here on Travelfish:
    http://tinyurl.com/22rzou

#5 Posted: 25/2/2008 - 20:47

• limeandsoda

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2007

I stayed at Sawasdee bangkok inn, and it was decent, but not necessirally comfortable, and you can get the exact same thing for much cheaper elsewhere.

#6 Posted: 26/2/2008 - 11:58

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

The sawadee chain of hotels is ok for very cheap/basic rooms. Ive stayed in quiet a few different ones over thailand and some have been ok but some have bed bugs and are just not really that nice. There are so many hotels and guest houses in bangkok but without knowing your budget or the area or type of area you like (lots of tourist/backpakers/night life??? In the business district???) its hard to say. I think its worth spending as much as you can afford in Bangkok becuase this city can take it out of you (the heat, traffic, people, smog etc..) its worth having a comfortable room to relax in at the end of the day)

Good luck.

#7 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 09:23

• g4travel

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2008

Hey mate!Try checking this out!www.lubd.comwww.takeanaphotel.comthese budget hotels provide you the great accom in the best location too

#8 Posted: 11/3/2008 - 12:04

• marhas

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

spam removed

#9 Posted: 30/3/2008 - 05:19

• Waso

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2008

I have stayed at Sawadee Seaview at Pattaya & Sawadee Khaosan inn at Bangkok from Sep 19th to 22nd. According the Internet photos, both of them looked good in Ad. In the reality, it is not very hygenic, unattractive and bad ordor inside the room.

Sawadee seaview has no IDD phone as advertised in the net. Aircon was very noisy and producing bad smell. Toilet water flow was weak and bathroom was small. The plus side is can be viewed the sea from window. When I checked out, reception staff with chubby face asked me to wait longer than usual. I requested her for checking the mini bar while I was having breakfast. She refuesed my request. On my last day breakfast, I saw inset running on the salad table. The rate was bath 650 including breakfast for one.

Sawadee Khaoson inn has better quality room. Tile and painting has good look. However house keeping staff did not come and clean inside the room unless you requested. On my lastday, I forgot to display the make up the room sign at the door handle. When I came backed from tour, I have no drinking water, soap, towel and shampoo. I begged like the beggers for these necessary items. Sawadee khanosan inn walk in rate was cheaper than advaced booking rate from another sawadee hotel. It was a terribel insult to the customers with misinformation. If I knew walk in rate was cheaper, I will not make advance booking from another hotel. The rate was bath 720 per night for one. Although they are not expensive, someone who research before the trip, could find better quality accomodation with cheaper prices.

#10 Posted: 27/9/2008 - 17:00

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok Hotel - First night treat - Advice? ... By Tazzfalcon on 20 Dec 2008 7 3277 2 Nov 2009